Re: Can I still get it for free

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 07:04 am, erik burggraaf wrote:
Staying with windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal choice, but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

I'd go even further and say that if you are a user who plans on staying in the Windows ecosystem for the foreseeable future you should upgrade.

Operating systems have finite support lives and there are those who will cling to a give OS long past its end of support, but this is never a good idea in the long run.

Change is absolutely inevitable when it comes to computing hardware, OSes, and software.  While there are legitimate reasons (including financial) not to upgrade things some are more important to keep current than others, and an OS is at the very top of that list.  When the upgrade is free and it's known that the software you're using works on that OS upgrade the case is even stronger (though if some doesn't, that's a factor, too).

I have repeatedly said, because I have found it to be true again and again, that there is also an advantage of being a part of a large cohort that's "going through the same growing pains at the same time" because lots of the same esoteric questions get asked and the answers are more easily forthcoming.  That's not so true when you decide to upgrade 5 years later and a lot of that esoterica gets lost in the mists of time for the vast majority of other users.   I'm already experiencing that "lost in the mists" effect on aspects of Windows 10 that I could quote "chapter and verse" when I was dealing with certain issues early in its life after initial release but that no one's asked about for a long time now.

    I don't find an uninformed hatred a "principled position" that I need to respect in any way.

        ~ Ellen Evans, soc.motss, 11/6/2004