Re: Can I still get it for free

Well to be honest till they basically died out serial synths with a command line has always been reasonably accessible especially with us dos users.
gnome2 has always been good enough for use.
The latest linux with all the different sound cards and software speech as well as gnome 3, gnome shell, unity and other things are a bit more of a challenge, kde wasn't accessible before it aparently is as well as lxde and mate but a lot of that stuff is not on the official front there are so many branches you need to follow one of them.
Gnome2 is like win xp, gnome shell is like 7 and up, I am not sure about the rest but that lxde and lfce are desktops for smaller units and are reasonably new but I have pulled out of linux for a while because of not having a machine to dabble or time to fiddle with it.

On 9/03/2017 7:34 a.m., Travis Siegel wrote:
Linux is plenty accessible. I've been using linux since somewhere
around 1992, and I've had much better success on linux than I have had
on any other operating system.
Now, with that said, I'd like to throw in the caveat that I'm a power
user, rarely use the full-blown gui interface, and prefer command lines.
The most accessible gui I've ever found is on the mac under OSX, and I
use that too, as well as windows. I use what's best for the current
task at hand, and don't quible about which one is better. They all have
their place, linux works with orca, mac works with voiceover, windows
works with NVDA (and others), and how much each one works is partly up
to the user. I also use BSD for certain tasks, and it's likely I'd use
other operating systems too if I had them lying around here. I even
used a raspberry pi for more than a year as my main computer, so I'm
flexible, and don't care what's at hand, I'll use what's available, and
manage to get things done, whether that's linux, windows, OSX, raspbian,
BSD, dos, or some other operating system. As long as I can access it, I
can find ways to get things done.

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Gene wrote:

From what I've heard, accessibility isn't as good in Linux. I'm not
saying
Linux is less accessible. But I've heard from more than one person on
one
or two lists that Linux screen-readers aren't as good. I'd want to
see more
opinions on how horrible an operating system Windows is. I remain
skeptical.