Re: Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Ben J. Bloomgren

Chris,

I'm currently using it with my pac mate QX 40 display. It works like a charm. I went into NVDA's preferences and then to braille. In the braille displays area, I hit F until I came upon freedom scientific focus series or something like that, I hit enter after I had installed the driver, and it started working immediately. Needless to say, I am stoked.

On Mar 8, 2017, at 14:05, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:

What display specifically are you using? If you're using one of the original Pacmate or Pacmate Omni displays, it's not gonna work. At least, I! can't get it to work. Trust me. I tried billions of times!

Honestly, that's one of the only very very few things keeping me from using NVDA full time. That, and, same goes with my big Alva Satelite 80. God would I love to use that thing on Windows 10! The drivers have been totally deprecated though as far as I can see. I had this discussion on the list a while back, but no one really seemed to know how to get either of my displays up and running with NVDA.

I can get the Alva working in JFW as long as I'm on Windows XP 32 bit, but with NVDA, regardless the architect, or version of Windows, forget it. Yeah, I tried with BRLTTY, and with LibBrl, I think it's called, but neither work. Keep in mind, I don't have a power cord for my Alva as I got it used, and this machine I'm running it on doesn't have a serial port, so I'm having to bus power it via USB.

I'm veering way off from the initial topic at hand, so I'll further refrane, but my point is, I can't get the Alva to work at all, and as far as FS displays go, unless it's a newer display like a Focus, or a Focus Blue, I don't think it's gonna work, at least not without you putting up a fight.

Now, that said, if anyone knows a trick in Win10 Home 64 bit to get even just via USB, the original PM20 or PM40, in my case the 20, to work with NVDA, please, I beg of you, give me step by step directions. I'd kill! to get that thing working!

Chris.