Re: Can I still get it for free

I don't know if I can aggree with you eric.
In principal I do.
Windows sucks!
But everyone uses it.
Ok not everyone but its the most popular os of choice for just about everything in the western world.
Now a lot use linux now but access is well not as good as windows.
Dos had its day and was good but no one cares now, they just want icons.
Older windows was ok some of it just sucked I agree.
But to be honest if we didn't have microsoft anything we'd run unix or something who knows.
If what you say is true then the entire world is living in the past.
Just about everything requires windows.
Saying that there are peoples that say that ultrabooks are the way of the future, desktops are dynosaws so are laptops.
Windows is in the past, linux is the way foreward and ios and android and other things.

On 9/03/2017 4:04 a.m., erik burggraaf wrote:
Gene, Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years
of in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major
operating systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration. There isn't a
single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for
arketecture support. It's the most expensive operating system to
implement if you remove hardware from the equation. Windows supports
cheeper hardware than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact
that windows itself is the highest priced operating system on the
market. Windows is also more expensive to maintain. In fact, an
upgrade from windows seven to windows 10 takes about two hours time. If
you have to fully patch windows seven sp1 it takes between 3 and 6 hours
depending on connection speed. If you're paying by the hour, which
would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the
astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity. I have not
yet had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven. In windows seven
it is common place for programs to allow themselves transparently
through built in firewalling. It is also common place for programs to
run as administrator without requiring the administrator account to be
enabled or requiring an administrator password. It is possible for
programs to sircomvent the notification system that works on the front
line, and it's even possible and considered advisable by many people to
turn the security notifications off altogether. In fact, it is possible
when sitting at the keyboard of a windows seven workstation to gain
administrator access without logging in at all, to add, remove, or
rename windows system files, to take command line control of a
workstation, and to perform any command line function including enabling
or disabling the administrator account and changing account credentials,
all without logging in. Litterally any improvement would be better than
the attrocity that is windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible. Ribbons and tiles are only two
examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors
but had the effect of alienating users. Windows 10 does the smart thing
and returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel.

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so. That means a lot
happens in the computer world between releases. Because the releases
are alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of
uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want
to hault progress. Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old
and we are still talking about support for windows xp being
discontinued. Nowhere else in the world of operating systems are we
talking about support for 8 year old software, and 17 year old software
isn't even available for download on pirate sites. Computers that
shipped with windows 7 at the time of the release of windows 8 are now
end of lifed, and yet, I was still able to buy and install a windows
seven a month ago. The cost to developers of supporting four operating
systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven and vista, is astronomical,
and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill. The cost of windows
software over all is significantly higher than on any other operating
system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in the past
more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven
and eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid
product. The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are
similar to those of windows seven. Upgrading usually brings better plug
and play hardware support and other items under the hood that users
would miss if they were gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email
app and it's improved tts voices. Then there are things I'm not too
pleased with such as the loss of control over windows update and the
increased relience on ribbons. True, we don't really have enough
information about this particular case to make a recommendation one way
or the other, but in general, it is more than time to leave windows
seven behind unlesss you have some substantial reason not to, such as
loss of support for a crutial piece of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features
or fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing.
Windows ten is market tested, reliable and functional at this point.
Staying with windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your
personal choice, but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or
semipro basis, the recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point
unless circomstances dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it.
That doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something.
People may have reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has
recently claimed that for security reasons, you should upgrade because
Windows 7 is not secure enough anymore because it isn't a new enough
operating system to incorporate newer security features. I haven't
seen any independent discussion concerning this. But there are always
problems that may occur when updating and in this case, the point was
stated that this is an old computer. You don't just upgrade. While
many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you can't assume they will. I
don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a general practice.
Why is an upgrade being considered? What features, if any, will be
used or are desired by upgrading? Has the computer been tested for
compatibility of the upgrade?