Re: Can I still get it for free

Guys, not everything is 64 bit just yet.
And if you are set against 32 bit, go and buy jaws and get off this list you idiots!
Thats right, nvda is 32 bit right now.
A lot of blindy software has been 32 bit now, a lot of our games most of them are 32 bit.
So you don't want 32 bit?
Well no 32 bit codecs.
Lets see office is 64 bit a couple games are 64 bit, ccleaner is 64 bit, 7zip is 64 bit, there is a version of firefox that is 64 bit, unsure about thunderbird.
We are moving foreward but not everything is 64 bit.
A lot is still 32 bit.

On 9/03/2017 9:13 a.m., enes sarıbaş wrote:
hi,

It is because of people who stubbornly cling to 32 bit programs and old
operating systems that new technologies are not implemented in software.
Examples of these include SSE2 support, support for modern APİs, and
pure 64 bit applications.

On 3/8/2017 6:04 PM, erik burggraaf wrote:

Gene, Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15
years of in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major
operating systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration. There isn't a
single thing windows does better than other operating systems except
for arketecture support. It's the most expensive operating system to
implement if you remove hardware from the equation. Windows supports
cheeper hardware than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact
that windows itself is the highest priced operating system on the
market. Windows is also more expensive to maintain. In fact, an
upgrade from windows seven to windows 10 takes about two hours time.
If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1 it takes between 3 and 6
hours depending on connection speed. If you're paying by the hour,
which would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding
the astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity. I
have not yet had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven. In
windows seven it is common place for programs to allow themselves
transparently through built in firewalling. It is also common place
for programs to run as administrator without requiring the
administrator account to be enabled or requiring an administrator
password. It is possible for programs to sircomvent the notification
system that works on the front line, and it's even possible and
considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications
off altogether. In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard
of a windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without
logging in at all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to
take command line control of a workstation, and to perform any command
line function including enabling or disabling the administrator
account and changing account credentials, all without logging in.
Litterally any improvement would be better than the attrocity that is
windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible. Ribbons and tiles are only
two examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from
competetors but had the effect of alienating users. Windows 10 does
the smart thing and returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel.

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so. That means a lot
happens in the computer world between releases. Because the releases
are alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of
uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want
to hault progress. Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years
old and we are still talking about support for windows xp being
discontinued. Nowhere else in the world of operating systems are we
talking about support for 8 year old software, and 17 year old
software isn't even available for download on pirate sites. Computers
that shipped with windows 7 at the time of the release of windows 8
are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still able to buy and install a
windows seven a month ago. The cost to developers of supporting four
operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven and vista, is
astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill. The cost
of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any other
operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in
the past more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven
and eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid
product. The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are
similar to those of windows seven. Upgrading usually brings better
plug and play hardware support and other items under the hood that
users would miss if they were gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email
app and it's improved tts voices. Then there are things I'm not too
pleased with such as the loss of control over windows update and the
increased relience on ribbons. True, we don't really have enough
information about this particular case to make a recommendation one
way or the other, but in general, it is more than time to leave
windows seven behind unlesss you have some substantial reason not to,
such as loss of support for a crutial piece of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new
features or fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of
computing. Windows ten is market tested, reliable and functional at
this point. Staying with windows seven just because is fine for now
if that's your personal choice, but if you're supporting or
recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the recommendation has to be
to upgrade at this point unless circomstances dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it.
That doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something.
People may have reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has
recently claimed that for security reasons, you should upgrade
because Windows 7 is not secure enough anymore because it isn't a new
enough operating system to incorporate newer security features. I
haven't seen any independent discussion concerning this. But there
are always problems that may occur when updating and in this case,
the point was stated that this is an old computer. You don't just
upgrade. While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you can't
assume they will. I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading
as a general practice. Why is an upgrade being considered? What
features, if any, will be used or are desired by upgrading? Has the
computer been tested for compatibility of the upgrade?