From: Travis Siegel
Sent: Thursday, March 9, 2017 09:35
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

You realize that the only benefit 64-bit software offers at this time is

the ability to move larger blocks of memory all at once. With programs

like video editing, and graphic creation, this is a huge benefit, since

the data is so large.  But, in normal everyday usage, 64-bit software

offers little to no benefit over 32-bit software.

It has a lot to do with the 64-bit implementation and the compiler used

to do the compiling.  A 64-bit processor can move larger blocks of

memory, has more registers for storing data, and can process more

instructions in a single clock cycle.  This will make your software run

faster if it's coded properly,, but often times, when transitioning from

32 to 64-bit versions of a software, absolutely nothing is done to

optimize the software for 64-bit operation.  Sure, the compiler does

it's best to make this happen, but that's no substitute for someone who

knows what they're doing, and optimizes the code themselves to take

advantage of 64-bit addressing.  Most of the time, there is nobody who

knows how to do this, and so the benefits of 64-bit computing fall by

the wayside, and you're simply stuck with a 64-bit version of a 32-bit

program that does nothing to take advantage of the 64-bit addressing.

Sure, it will run (slightly) faster, but without taking into account

during the coding process (addressing boundaries, memory locations, data

types, and so on) you won't truly see the benefit of 64-bit software for

many years.  The same thing happened when switching from 16 to 32-bit

software.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen (even relatively

modern) software that still uses integers (16-bit values) to hold their

data, when a long (32-bit variable) is way more efficient on 32-bit

processors.  Often times, just changing variable types, and recompiling

software provides a modest speed increase, but this is only a single

instance of what needs to happen to make a truly 64-bit world.  Face it,

it doesn't matter how soon operating systems and other third-party

utilities switch to 64-bit software, you're still not going to see the

promised speed increases because developers just aren't in the 64-bit

mindset yet, and that's going to take time to fix.

It makes me laugh when folks say they want 64-bit, and they want it now,

but if you were to ask them what they're expecting 64-bit improvements

to give them,  they have no idea how to answer the question.  Don't beg

for something just because it's new and shiny, that's a recipe for

disaster.  Let things transition on their own, and you'll get your

64-bit software, and it will be neat and clean and fast.  Forcing the

transition will do nothing but lead to sloppy code, and horrible

implementations that reap no advantage from the 64-bit environment.

On 3/9/2017 10:02 AM, Lenron wrote:

> Also I can't wait until most things have switched to 64 bit.

> On 3/9/17, lenron brown <lenron93@...> wrote:

>> win 10 works great. Does anyone have that accessible link for those

>> that still need to upgrade from 7?

>> On 3/9/17, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@...> wrote:

>>> You certainly did.

>>> Most of the driver issues in Windows 10 have been resolved, remember I

>>> said

>>> most.

>>> 73 N2DYN Angelo

>>> Brian's

>>> Mail list account

>>> Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:42 AM

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> Who suggested Linux? I may have missed an episode here.

>>>   I know Sakina aand I doubt she would be interested in Linux. Even I

>>> would

>>> not go down that road as its anarchy access wise.

>>>   Apparently I've been told that the special VI offer is still obtainable

>>> for

>>> bglists@...

>>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>>> in the display name field.

>>> think.

>>> I ran a CP/m machine for years, and you talk about a learning curve, but

>>> you

>>> make do with what is available.

>>> Having said all of that, once you get Windows 10 setup it is much more

>>> secure than ever.

>>> It does get the job done.

>>> 73 N2DYN Angelo

>>> F.

>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 10:52 AM

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> This is why I wish I had the brains to learn Linux

>>> burggraaf

>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:04 AM

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> Gene,  Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years

>>> of

>>> in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating

>>> systems.

>>> First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration.  There isn't a

>>> single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for

>>> arketecture support.  It's the most expensive operating system to

>>> implement

>>> if you remove hardware from the equation.  Windows supports cheeper

>>> hardware

>>> than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself

>>> is

>>> the highest priced operating system on the market.  Windows is also more

>>> expensive to maintain.  In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows

>>> 10

>>> takes about two hours time.  If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1

>>> it

>>> takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed.  If you're

>>> paying

>>> by the hour, which would you choose?

>>> Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the

>>> astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity.  I have not

>>> yet

>>> had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven.  In windows seven it is

>>> common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built

>>> in

>>> firewalling.  It is also common place for programs to run as

>>> administrator

>>> without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an

>>> administrator password.  It is possible for programs to sircomvent the

>>> notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible

>>> and

>>> considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications

>>> off

>>> altogether.  In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a

>>> windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in

>>> at

>>> all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line

>>> control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function

>>> including

>>> enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account

>>> credentials, all without logging in.  Litterally any improvement would be

>>> better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

>>> Microsoft interface design is terrible.  Ribbons and tiles are only two

>>> examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors

>>> but

>>> had the effect of alienating users.  Windows 10 does the smart thing and

>>> returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel.

>>> Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so.  That means a lot

>>> happens in the computer world between releases.  Because the releases are

>>> alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of

>>> uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to

>>> hault progress.  Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and

>>> we

>>> are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued.

>>> Nowhere

>>> else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8

>>> year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for

>>> download on pirate sites.  Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the

>>> time

>>> of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still

>>> able

>>> to buy and install a windows seven a month ago.  The cost to developers

>>> of

>>> supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven

>>> and

>>> vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill.  The

>>> cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any

>>> other

>>> operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in

>>> the

>>> past more than any other userbase.

>>> Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and

>>> eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.

>>> The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those

>>> of

>>> windows seven.  Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware

>>> support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were

>>> gone.

>>> There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email

>>> app

>>> and it's improved tts voices.  Then there are things I'm not too pleased

>>> with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased

>>> relience on ribbons.  True, we don't really have enough information about

>>> this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but

>>> in

>>> general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you

>>> have

>>> some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial

>>> piece

>>> of hardware.

>>> All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features

>>> or

>>> fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing.  Windows

>>> ten

>>> is market tested, reliable and functional at this point.  Staying with

>>> windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal

>>> choice,

>>> but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the

>>> recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances

>>> dictate otherwise.

>>> Best,

>>> Erik

>>> http://www.aqua-mail.com

>>> On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

>>> You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it.  That

>>> doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something.  People may

>>> have

>>> reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that

>>> for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure

>>> enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to

>>> incorporate

>>> newer security features.  I haven't seen any independent discussion

>>> concerning this.  But there are always problems that may occur when

>>> updating

>>> and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer.  You

>>> don't just upgrade.  While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you

>>> can't

>>> assume they will.  I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a

>>> general practice.  Why is an upgrade being considered?  What features, if

>>> any, will be used or are desired by upgrading?  Has the computer been

>>> tested

>>> for compatibility of the upgrade?

>>> Gene

>>> reason

>>> to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.

>>> On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:

>>> Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade

>>> for

>>> free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.

>>> You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to

>>> have

>>> your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless

>>> there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough

>>> alone.

>>> Gene

>>> Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> Hello gene and Friends,

>>> I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window

>>> 7

>>> Please forgive me for my terminology below

>>> I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

>>> Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

>>> If yes, than please how do I go about.

>>> I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

>>> Thanking you all again.

>>> With best wishes

>>> Sakina