Re: accessible antivirus

Felix G.

Hi!
Generally speaking, if I were currently looking for a good antimalware solution, I would look for the following:
- Dual engine approach. Two engines see more than one, and more than two is overkill.
- Surfing protection based on a list of known malware-distributing sites.
- Good behavior blocking technology that spots programs trying to open backdoors, modify the registry in unexpected ways etc.
- Protection against a wide variety of types of malware, including but not limited to viruses, worms, trojans, backdoors, adware and spyware.
So much for the list of positive characteristics. Here's what would put me off a given solution:
- Email scanning. This makes no sense as any malicious file will need to be saved to disk prior to being opened. So, classic file-based scanning on write will get them all anyway if done correctly.
- Add-ons for specific browsers, email applications, office suites etc. I'd like to be protected in general on a conceptual system level, not in a per-program way which needs updating every time I decide to install something new.
The program I suggested earlier in this thread would seem to fit the exact criteria I outlined here, therefore that's what I'm using and what I'll continue to use until any of these parameters change for the worse, at which point I'll re-evaluate.
Kind regards and hope this helps,
Felix

Christo Vorster <christo.vorster@...> schrieb am Fr., 17. März 2017 um 11:04 Uhr:

Hi

I accept that there might be better antivirus programs than Defender, but what are they?

My experience with Defender on my Windows 2010 machines have been positive, up to now.

Regards