locked Incredibly basic Excel functionality, and a few extremely elementary questions

Guys,

I just have taken on a new position at my church. One of the things which will be required of me on a very regular basis is to read spreadsheet documents which will be created in Excel.

I should make it very clear that these files will not have anything in them of numerical value, nor have any formulas. The only reason they are using Excel is to keep things neetly organized in both rows and columns, and to make sure that things accessibly line up correctly.

So, being that we are not using Excel for the mathematical side of it, but more just for very basic organization, I’m curious how well NVDA will work with Excel, seeing that I honestly haven’t really used it heavily up until now. It seems to work very very well with JAWS, but I’ve not had the chance to try it with NVDA. If this doesn’t work, which I’m sure it probably will, then I’m going to have to work with them on another sollution, which isn’t a problem, I just need to know either way.

As for my few questions, provided that the lady who does the documents makes the first row of columns specifically be headers, like, name, location assighment, etc, then is there a way, say, I then went to the next row down and saw Chris Gilland, could I somehow query the header of that column and see that I’m in the, “Name” column?

Secondly, is there a way to have excel report the current cell coordinants without the need for me to focus on another cell, then move back to the one I initially was in thereby forcing NVDA to speak them? And finally, can I have NVDA read not just one cell at a time, but instead read me the entire row?

Thanks.

Chris.