locked Re: Incredibly basic Excel functionality, and a few extremely elementary questions

Arlene

It is. it’s used for spread sheets. For example. If you are working in an office. You use it for payroll and other flo charts such as budget. I tried it in my boss’s office.  He installed NVDA on the computer. He has it not start when the computer starts up.  I don’t know how to use excel. He took me to it or I’ll say another co-worker took me to payroll and where excel will be used.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: March-23-17 10:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Incredibly basic Excel functionality, and a few extremely elementary questions

Thank you for that information, Arlene.

Once I had the chance to get by a PC which had NVDA on it, I gave it a try. You're defiitely correct regarding it being usable. I'm actually quite impressed. Anyway, again, thanks for the help. Stay warm. Hopefully you're not getting the cold front we just got here near Charlotte NC. LOL!

God bless.

---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:48 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Incredibly basic Excel functionality, and a few extremely elementary questions

Hi, sorry I’m late in this thread. I thought Excel was only used as a spread sheet  not for documents.  Yes, excel can be used with NVDA. I’ve seen it but only as a spread sheet. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: March-22-17 8:42 PM

As you already know, excel is not a word processor.  It always irks me when folks use excel for document management.  It's like nobody knows it's a spreadsheet program, and millions of other tools exist to handle documents, including formatting to one's liking.  There's zero reasons to use excel for document management, and it's just a sad state of affairs that folks still do this.  If it were me, I'd be campaigning strongly for a change in venue, since typically, it's generally best to use a program for it's intended purpose instead of shoehorning it into a role it was never meant to fill, but that's just my take on things, feel free to ignore as desired.

Just saying, excel is a horrible tool to use, just because formatting is a premium.

On 3/22/2017 11:17 PM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:

That's way more work than necessary! And, with the platform we're using, we *can't* use Word, nor do text.

The files absolutely *MUST!* be in Excel format.

---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:33 PM

You could copy and paste the content into a Word doc.  Once it’s in a word doc, you can convert the table to text which would simplify everything greatly, but still keep it lined up.

I don’t have any personal experience with NVDA and Excel, but someone who works for me who is blind hates it.  But all the things he has complained about (drop down boxes, comments, totals changing when content changes etc.) you probably wouldn’t be using

Sheri

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] Incredibly basic Excel functionality, and a few extremely elementary questions
Importance: High

Guys,

I just have taken on a new position at my church. One of the things which will be required of me on a very regular basis is to read spreadsheet documents which will be created in Excel.

I should make it very clear that these files will not have anything in them of numerical value, nor have any formulas. The only reason they are using Excel is to keep things neetly organized in both rows and columns, and to make sure that things accessibly line up correctly.

So, being that we are not using Excel for the mathematical side of it, but more just for very basic organization, I’m curious how well NVDA will work with Excel, seeing that I honestly haven’t really used it heavily up until now. It seems to work very very well with JAWS, but I’ve not had the chance to try it with NVDA. If this doesn’t work, which I’m sure it probably will, then I’m going to have to work with them on another sollution, which isn’t a problem, I just need to know either way.

As for my few questions, provided that the lady who does the documents makes the first row of columns specifically be headers, like, name, location assighment, etc, then is there a way, say, I then went to the next row down and saw Chris Gilland, could I somehow query the header of that column and see that I’m in the, “Name” column?

Secondly, is there a way to have excel report the current cell coordinants without the need for me to focus on another cell, then move back to the one I initially was in thereby forcing NVDA to speak them? And finally, can I have NVDA read not just one cell at a time, but instead read me the entire row?

Thanks.

Chris.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended solely for the person and/or entity to whom it is addressed (i.e. those identified in the "To" and "cc" box). They are the property of McDonald's Corporation. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or copying of this communication, or any part thereof, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail and attachments to the sender and delete the e-mail and attachments and any copy from your system. McDonald's thanks you for your cooperation.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.