Re: suggestion: giving google chrome a try Performance degradation in current Firefox

Kevin Chao

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 2:37 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, Chrome accessibility has a bit of a ways to go. I wish it didn't. I wish I could reliably use Chrome without the strangeness that persists, but I can't. With Canary, some menu items are not read out by NVDA,
Which menu items specifically? Could you provide a couple of examples?

but are by Chromevox. Others are read out by NVDA and not by Chromevox. I don't want two screen reading packages running. When navigating the web and going to a new web page, I seem to have to push tab after a new page loads, otherwise NVDA doesn't seem to see the content on the page.
Is this with *any* page or *specific ones?

When doing a search on the Google page and when navigating around Chrome in general, pressing H to navigate by heading only works sometimes, but sometimes locks up
Is there a pattern to when this occurs?

until I again press tab to force it to get back to the content. The sign-in process in Chrome does not work with NVDA. I needed to use Window-eyes to get it to read the content. JAWS was also unable to read it. And I will post another thread about this, but Hangouts doesn't work very well. the Hangouts app seems to be totally inaccessible to next branches of NVDA and Canary.
Was the Hangouts app accessible in NVDA release and Chrome stable? I use the Hangouts integrated in Gmail.

And the keyboard shortcuts that Google outlines in their manual at https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3112005?rd=1 don't work when navigating to hangouts.google.com, and the article doesn't specify where exactly these shortcuts are supposed to work.
There are different sets of keyboard shortcuts on that page: ones for while in a video call and others for when chatting.

Actually many hotkeys that Google outlines interfere with browser-specific hotkeys.
Which ones conflict? Q to search for chat, H > C to go to conversation list, Esc to focus chat window, etc. work for Hangout/screen readers.

So I would be happy to transition to using Chrome, as Firefox is becoming awful, but that would mean a huge loss of productivity for me.
I'm hoping to have a better understanding of these pain points, so bugs could be filed, and feedback could be provided to Chrome/Hangouts accessibility...

So if you have been able to get Chrome to work more reliably, I am interested in which version of Chrome and which version of NVDA, as well as any settings changes that you have made for your specific set-up. If this is localized to just me, I am willing to do some troubleshooting, but on three computers Chrome's behavior seems to be the same. About the only improvement I have seen to Chrome Canary is that NVDA reads out a few additional menu items that it wasn't reading before. I might try resetting Chrome back to default settings and removing all plugins to see if that has any effect, but this installation of Chrome is pretty new, so I'm not sure if that will help or not.
This is an excellent message that covers lots of areas in detail, so thanks for it! Hope to continue the conversation! :)

Thanks.

On 3/27/2016 4:05 PM, Scott VanDeWalle wrote:
Hey.
I've been using chrome now for a couple of weeks now i believe.
It is pretty good for the most part.
hth

Scott

My problem with Firefox is that I am no longer able to use the BBC iplayer. Every time I try to listen to something, I get a message telling me that the Adobe flash plugin has crashed. This particular plugin is up to date and I have been having this problem since early December. I know this is not anNVDA issue but would be greatful if anyone has any ideas on how I can sort this out. I have been using Firefox as my primary browser now for nearly 9 and a half years.