Re: suggestion: giving google chrome a try Performance degradation in current Firefox

Nimer Jaber

On 27-Mar-16 16:56, Kevin Chao wrote:

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 2:37 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, Chrome accessibility has a bit of a ways to go. I wish it didn't. I wish I could reliably use Chrome without the strangeness that persists, but I can't. With Canary, some menu items are not read out by NVDA,
Which menu items specifically? Could you provide a couple of examples?
When going to any website, pressing the alt key ought to open up the Chrome application menu or whatever it is called. When this menu opens, the following options are announced: New Tab, New Window, New Incognito Window, History, Downloads, Bookmarks, and a menu item simply called "zoom". I believe these options are for making text larger and smaller, however the next three options are not announced. Then we have print, cast, find, more tools, and then we arrive at something called "edit". With Chromevox, I am able to discern that these are the options for cut, copy and paste, however these options are not announced with NVDA. The final options are announced starting with settings, going to help and then exit.

but are by Chromevox. Others are read out by NVDA and not by Chromevox. I don't want two screen reading packages running. When navigating the web and going to a new web page, I seem to have to push tab after a new page loads, otherwise NVDA doesn't seem to see the content on the page.
Is this with *any* page or *specific ones?
This happens with any page. To reproduce, open Canary. Navigate to the address bar. Type in a URL and press enter. Expected result is that a user can immediately begin navigating the loaded page after that page is loaded on screen. Actual result is that a user must press the "TAB" key to put focus on the content before a user can navigate through the page. By navigation, I am speaking of using the arrow keys to read content, or using quick navigational commands to jump to various elements on the page such as a heading or a check box.

When doing a search on the Google page and when navigating around Chrome in general, pressing H to navigate by heading only works sometimes, but sometimes locks up
Is there a pattern to when this occurs?
This generally happens after the first or second press of H command, and it happens after a page has been first loaded. To reproduce, navigate to the Google website and search for any query. Once pressing enter, press H for headings. If you keep on moving down the page by headings, the page invariably locks up after the second or third press of the H command. There isn't any way to reliably reproduce, but it seems to be a similar issue with the web content hanging after a new page loads.

until I again press tab to force it to get back to the content. The sign-in process in Chrome does not work with NVDA. I needed to use Window-eyes to get it to read the content. JAWS was also unable to read it. And I will post another thread about this, but Hangouts doesn't work very well. the Hangouts app seems to be totally inaccessible to next branches of NVDA and Canary.
Was the Hangouts app accessible in NVDA release and Chrome stable? I use the Hangouts integrated in Gmail.
Unfortunately I don't remember if it was, but it appears that the Hangouts app uses web content that is somehow not visible to NVDA. This is the same issue with attempting to install an application from the Chrome web store that sometimes pops up, and appears to be the same exact issue I ran into when attempting to sign in with Canary for the first time with my Google creds. I believe this is an issue with how NVDA perceives Chrome dialogs.

And the keyboard shortcuts that Google outlines in their manual at https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3112005?rd=1 don't work when navigating to hangouts.google.com, and the article doesn't specify where exactly these shortcuts are supposed to work.
There are different sets of keyboard shortcuts on that page: ones for while in a video call and others for when chatting.
I apologize, I meant whether those shortcuts are supposed to work while using the Hangouts Chrome application, the Hangouts website via hangouts.google.com or Hangouts via Gmail.

Actually many hotkeys that Google outlines interfere with browser-specific hotkeys.
Which ones conflict? Q to search for chat, H > C to go to conversation list, Esc to focus chat window, etc. work for Hangout/screen readers.
These don't seem to work for me on hangouts.google.com and the hotkeys that conflict would be commands such as control+E which navigates to the search box or the navigation bar in some browsers, and control+D which activates Bookmark creation in some browsers.

So I would be happy to transition to using Chrome, as Firefox is becoming awful, but that would mean a huge loss of productivity for me.
I'm hoping to have a better understanding of these pain points, so bugs could be filed, and feedback could be provided to Chrome/Hangouts accessibility...

So if you have been able to get Chrome to work more reliably, I am interested in which version of Chrome and which version of NVDA, as well as any settings changes that you have made for your specific set-up. If this is localized to just me, I am willing to do some troubleshooting, but on three computers Chrome's behavior seems to be the same. About the only improvement I have seen to Chrome Canary is that NVDA reads out a few additional menu items that it wasn't reading before. I might try resetting Chrome back to default settings and removing all plugins to see if that has any effect, but this installation of Chrome is pretty new, so I'm not sure if that will help or not.
This is an excellent message that covers lots of areas in detail, so thanks for it! Hope to continue the conversation! :)

Thanks.

On 3/27/2016 4:05 PM, Scott VanDeWalle wrote:
Hey.
I've been using chrome now for a couple of weeks now i believe.
It is pretty good for the most part.
hth

Scott

My problem with Firefox is that I am no longer able to use the BBC iplayer. Every time I try to listen to something, I get a message telling me that the Adobe flash plugin has crashed. This particular plugin is up to date and I have been having this problem since early December. I know this is not anNVDA issue but would be greatful if anyone has any ideas on how I can sort this out. I have been using Firefox as my primary browser now for nearly 9 and a half years.