Re: Aria-live and interactive fiction

Sukil Etxenike <sukiletxe@...>

Hi,

I use Firefox and Chrome.

Doesn't role = alert force the interruption of text as it arrives on screen, and prepend the word "alert" to it?

Regards,
Sukil

El 07/04/2017 a las 10:16, Jacob Kruger escribió:

Which browser are you making use of?

Ask since in chrome and firefox, I get no automatic feedback, but, the content is being updated, but, in chrome, the auto-completion in the edit field seems to be interfering at times.

However, if I try that out with internet explorer 11, then it handles it like you probably want it to - seems to read out next bit of feedback, etc. nicely, but, just gave it a very quick try.

I myself implement aria-live="assertive", and, role="alert" to get NVDA, etc. to read out content changes, but, haven't played around with the other ones yet.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2017-04-07 09:50, Sukil Etxenike via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

Lately I've been testing online interactive fiction interpreters. All these implement aria (precisely,aria-live="polite", aria-atomic="false", aria-relevant="additions"). The problem is that with some specific games (like Ad Verbum) NVDA fails to output anything automatically. Link to test this (with Parchment):

adverbum - Parchment

Anyone can clarify why this happens? Note that this is not specific to this game, but this only happens in Parchment (see <http://www.eblong.com/zarf/glulx/quixe/quixe/play-remote.html?story=stories/Advent.ulx.js>). That works properly...

Even more weirdness: Andrew Plotkin uses an older version of Parchment with no ARIA, and it works surprisingly well (compare <http://eblong.com/zarf/zweb/tangle/> and <http://iplayif.com/?story=http://eblong.com/zarf/ftp/Tangle.z5>.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much,

Sukil