Facebook with Firefox and NVDA

Felix G.

Hello,
has anyone found a workaround for Firefox being sluggish in the standard view of Facebook, especially when using j and k to navigate the news feed? Also, could anyone please offer some advice on how to start a new messenger conversation? When typing the name of a contact into the search field then using the arrow keys to find the right contact, only the contents of the search field are announced but not the selected entry in the list. I have verified with the navigator that selection moves between list items, they're just not announced.
I'm thinking of switching to mobile view but FB help recommends standard view for accessibility.
Anything obvious I might be doing wrong? I can sort of get around and accomplish my goals but it feels sluggish, inefficient and tiresome, as if using something that wasn't designed to be used in this way although it claims to be. Also, I can reproduce the problem on at least two systems.
The rest of this message is sort of a more general rant, optional reading matter so to speak.
As an aside, I find that unfortunately, while still being a great browser in many respects, Firefox is currently getting quite sluggish in terms of moving the focus in response to requests by screen readers. It ends up creating timing issues where the focus bounces back because the events appear in the wrong order or too late. I know it sounds as if I'm complaining, which in a way I am, but very much in the spirit of saying our user experience on the web could be truly great if those microfrustrations were removed. So this is more about pointing out potential for improvement and asking if others are seeing what I am seeing through their windows on reality.
What do I mean by microfrustrations? That's a term I invented to describe minor annoyances that over time accumulate into a general feeling of being stressed out or frustrated. I'm afraid that's what the web is becoming for us, and since this is the result of a complex interplay between many components, the real challenge seems to be finding the one where a change would affect the entire system the most. Should we be grateful that things work at all? Or should we self-confidently demand that our interfaces be just as smooth, streamlined and fun to use as from a sighted perspective? The greatest enemy of good, in my opinion, is good enough.
Kind regards,
Felix Gr├╝tzmacher