From: "Felix G." <constantlyvariable@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2017 11:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] Facebook with Firefox and NVDA

Hello,
has anyone found a workaround for Firefox being sluggish in the standard
view of Facebook, especially when using j and k to navigate the news feed?
Also, could anyone please offer some advice on how to start a new messenger
conversation? When typing the name of a contact into the search field then
using the arrow keys to find the right contact, only the contents of the
search field are announced but not the selected entry in the list. I have
verified with the navigator that selection moves between list items,
they're just not announced.
I'm thinking of switching to mobile view but FB help recommends standard
view for accessibility.
Anything obvious I might be doing wrong? I can sort of get around and
accomplish my goals but it feels sluggish, inefficient and tiresome, as if
using something that wasn't designed to be used in this way although it
claims to be. Also, I can reproduce the problem on at least two systems.
The rest of this message is sort of a more general rant, optional reading
matter so to speak.
As an aside, I find that unfortunately, while still being a great browser
in many respects, Firefox is currently getting quite sluggish in terms of
moving the focus in response to requests by screen readers. It ends up
creating timing issues where the focus bounces back because the events
appear in the wrong order or too late. I know it sounds as if I'm
complaining, which in a way I am, but very much in the spirit of saying our
user experience on the web could be truly great if those microfrustrations
were removed. So this is more about pointing out potential for improvement
and asking if others are seeing what I am seeing through their windows on
reality.
What do I mean by microfrustrations? That's a term I invented to describe
minor annoyances that over time accumulate into a general feeling of being
stressed out or frustrated. I'm afraid that's what the web is becoming for
us, and since this is the result of a complex interplay between many
components, the real challenge seems to be finding the one where a change
would affect the entire system the most. Should we be grateful that things
work at all? Or should we self-confidently demand that our interfaces be
just as smooth, streamlined and fun to use as from a sighted perspective?
The greatest enemy of good, in my opinion, is good enough.
Kind regards,
Felix Gr├╝tzmacher