Re: help

Marisane Moruthanyana

Morning Cathy

With Oxford, I gues it to be very graphical.

I think this way, because even when you install, it doesn't respond as usual.

Besides, it is too inaccessible.

Regarding Cambridge, one can install it the normal way without sighted help.

However, one cannot, after typing the word one would find its meaning,
navigate the results field.

What I do after launching it, I activate the jaws cursor virtualization feature.

I, in that way, can access the results/definition of the word I'll
have searched.

I will continue finding out what this program looks like and will come
back to you with a better answer.

Don't you know of any accessible dictionary, be it an online
dictionary, audio, daisy or any other format?

I am afraid I am going to have problems with the module if nothing comes my way.

Your help is appreciated in advance.

Marisane

On 4/10/17, Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> wrote:
If all else fails, use Google. In the search box, type:
define (word) where (word) is the word which you want defined. I know
that's not a direct answer to your needs, but some software just cannot
be made accessible with any screen reader unless the software engineer
wishes it.
--
Sent from Discordia using Gnus for Emacs.
Email: r.d.t.prater@gmail.com

"Marisane Moruthanyana" <marisanem@gmail.com> writes:

Evening folks

I am Marisane from SA.

I, this year, registered for English hons with the University of Limpopo.

My lecturer recommends that we use the dictionary for some of the
exercises.

He advised us to buy Oxford or Cambridge dictionary.

Fortunately, there’s both dictionaries at my work place.

They are also in an electornic format, i.e. on a CD/DVD-ROM.

The IT colleague installed the dictionaries on two of the PCs in my work
station.

One pc has Cambridge and the other Oxford.

The dictionaries are very inaccessible with a screen reader, i.e. nvda or
jaws.

I use nvda as my main screen reader, but it cannot handle either of the
dictionaries.

I switched to jaws to check if it can handle the dictionary, but it also
couldn’t.

Does anyone of you know how to use these dictionaries with a screen
reader?

Do you know whether nvda has an addon for anyone of the two?

Your help is appreciated in advance.

With respect

Marisane