Re: need accessible OCR software for scanning books and printed materials

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Interestingly, I even installed Office XP and its tools onto a windows 7 machine and the OCr works fine with the cannoscan scanner and some other scanners as well. Nothing is ever prefect, obviously.
I have been very impressed though with both android and Iphone KNFB reader as a quick solution to reading printed text.
I do not know what engine it uses, but my friends seem to fine it almost instant, and although its not free its not mega expensive and there is now a version out for Windows 10 apparently, though Not actually tried it, I'd imagine it has to be accessible.
Also the podcasts seem to be saying that you can have copies on mobile devices and windows for a one off price.
Something to look into.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:05 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] need accessible OCR software for scanning books and printed materials

I would expect that the version of Fine Reader you are using can be used with NVDA. I have an old version, probably older than yours. Your version may have more capabilities than mine and have different options. But in mine, and my impression is that in general, if you aren't scanning directly into Microsoft Word, you can scan a page, then copy and paste it into another program. I use Notepad. Then the page can be read in Notepad and you can paste as many pages as you like in and let them accumulate before reading them. Unless you want to spend money to upgrade, I suspect that what you have now is better than any free options.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 7:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] need accessible OCR software for scanning books and printed materials

Might I ask what scanner or multi-function machine you will be using to scan with? A very great many have OCR processing built-in to their scanner software and some of that can be quite accessible.

--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.