From: Bhavya shah [mailto:bhavya.shah125@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 4:22 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Not much success using Goldwave with NVDA

Dear all,
I was recently trying to learn audio editing with Goldwave (version
5.5.5) using NVDA version 2016.1 and the latest development snapshot of the Goldwave add-on. Although the audio tutorial series (in the Urdu language) was recorded with reference to JAWS, I have wanted to stricly adapt all the key commands to NVDA and use NVDA for this task too.
However, I am finding that either I am ignorant about Goldwave usage with NVDA, likely because of lack of sufficient documentation material, or NVDA is not as efficient with the process as JAWS is (which I would not like believe is the case in actuality).
From hearing the audio tutorial series, the JAWS scripts key commands involving Alt + Shift and a certain intuitive alphabet to receive certain information is very logical and easy to understand, whereas NVDA's combinations for Goldwave are rather weird and require roting more than rationale. E.g. along with Alt Shift, I believe s, d and f is very comprehensibly used, so is u, i and o, as well as e, r and t, everything being easy to visualize and learn quickly, whereas NVDA's Goldwave add-on has absolutely random keyboard shortcuts, and maybe less too in number and information as opposed to the JAWS scripts.
Reading the status bar is also more useful in JAWS than in NVDA as was demonstrated in the audio tutorial, and for some odd reason, I am unable to use the Shift and Ctrl + Shift + left and right arrow keys to move markers and cursors with NVDA, as the JAWS user explains in the audio tutorial.
Conclusively, I would like to thank Joseph and the other contributors of the Goldwave NVDA add-on, and emphasize that a JAWS versus NVDA comparison is not the topic I intend to raise, Goldwave support is.
Since I seem to be able to locate no useful information on usage of Goldwave specifically with NVDA, and my initial impressions suggest that JAWS might be more efficient at this job, I am considering using JAWS while doing audio recording and editing, but I hope with your valuable responses and clarifications that might not need to happen.
Thanks for all the work the NVDA add-on team is doing!

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah