Re: how do I check for updates in thunderbird with nvda

It is an automatic part of the "About Thunderbird" dialog.   If there is an update available it should be announced and the actual release number read.  If there is not one the about dialog shows, "Thunderbird is up to date," in stippled text, which is why that's not read.  If you are hearing, "You are on the release update channel," without having heard that there's an update available before that then there is no current update available.

Unfortunately I just got my latest update to 52.0 this morning and didn't have NVDA on at the time, but I do know the dialog asks something like, "Do you want to restart to apply the update?" followed by a "Restart Thunderbird" or "Restart Now" button to cause the awaiting update to be applied.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill