Re: a problem a friend is having after installing a windows update

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:42 am, Jessica D wrote:
Is that what I should try?

 Not knowing your specific problem, nor what you may already have done or not done, I can't advise you specifically.

That being said, when I get weirdnesses with Windows 10 and/or previously functioning applications after an update here are the steps I follow:

  1. The step by step instructions in:  Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10
  2. If that doesn't work, and I don't want to necessarily reset yet, I will try using System Restore to roll back to a restore point before the update was applied and allow the update to reapply itself.  There can be inexplicable errors in a given update installation that do not recur if it's allowed to run again.
  3. If step number two is either skipped or gives an unsatisfactory result, then one absolutely must take a full backup of one's user data files and, preferably, a system image backup before continuing.  You want this for insurance.
  4. If you don't have System Restore on, or the roll back and reapplication of the "offending update" gives an unsatisfactory result, then I first try Reset with "keep your files" option.
  5. If the "Keep my files" Reset refuses to complete, and sometimes it will, then try Reset with a full wipe, knowing you'll have to restore your user data and probably reinstall certain programs, too.
  6. If neither Reset option will run then go to the Windows 10 Download Page, download the Media Creation Tool, run the Media creation tool to either create a bootable USB drive or get the Windows ISO file for burning to optical media to make a bootable DVD, then use that bootable media to reinstall Windows 10 or to try a reset using it as the mechanism.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill