Re: Email Client

Peter Chin

I am using mainly Windows Live Mail and for the most part it works well. However, I have not found a way to  enable the spellcheck facility. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client

I'm with everyone so far, but in different senses.

Thunderbird is indeed an excellent e-mail client overall and works beautifully with NVDA and other screen readers.  One can teach basic use and ignore all the bells and whistles not needed.  That being said, the less sophisticated user can and often does get themselves into trouble by fat-fingering something and triggering some function that they do not know about, do not wish to trigger, and have no idea how to exit.  That is the trouble with using a really full-featured e-mail client like Thunderbird.

I like Windows Live Mail 2012, and even though it's no longer officially supported that is mostly because Microsoft decided to change their proprietary access methods and did not wish to continue updating Windows Live Mail.   It still serves perfectly well as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.  If you want to download a copy of the full offline installer for Microsoft Essentials, of which Windows Live Mail is a part, it's on my Google Drive in 7-Zip format here.  I snagged a copy of the offline installer a couple of weeks before Microsoft withdrew active support.

I have recently learned of another fairly simple email client, eM Client, that looks quite good but I have not had a chance yet to evaluate it from an accessibility standpoint.  The interface seems to be simpler than Thunderbird's is, and that can be critical.   If you do evaluate this client for accessibility please report back.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill