Re: google hangouts on the computer using nvda

Gene

Control d is not a screen-reader command.  it opens a save book mark dialog and it works in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.  It would make no sense to have a screen-reader have such a command, that has nothing to do with its purpose.  I don't know who is responsible for google hangouts development but I would suggest getting in touch with whomever it is and telling them that they need to look at and reassign one or more of their shortcut keys.

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] google hangouts on the computer using nvda

There seems to be an issue when attempting to use some of these shortcuts. I turn on focus mode, and try to use ctrl + d, for example. I get the favorites dialog. This is when using IE 11. If I remember correctly, it even happens when I'm not using the pass through to applicaiton command, NVDA + f2. Any help is appreciated, and welcome.

On 3/28/2016 10:31 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
Step 3: ctrl with period for next conversation or ctrl with comma for prev convo.
Note: question mark will bring up list of keyboard shortcuts.
On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 4:27 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hi!
That was a valuable suggestion, thank you!
I'm trying to find an optimized workflow. Currently I have the following sequences figured out:
1. Upon starting Hangouts, enter focus mode then hc to go to conversations. Select one with arrow keys then hit enter to activate it.
2. To read history, tab or shift+tab several times then use arrows to read. Afterwards, tab or shift+tab several times again to go back to text entry.
3. To go to another conversation, esc to close chat, shift+tab to set focus to a meaningful element, hc to go to conversations, then procede as in step 1.
Still seems clunky to me but at least workable. I wouldn't call it productive though. If anyone has an idea how to streamline these user stories, please let me know.
Kind regards, and thanks again,
Felix Grützmacher

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 at 20:53 Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@...> wrote:
If using focus mode:
1. Shift+Tab to chat history
2. Up/Down Arrow to navigate messages
3. Conversation traversal is very user-friendly this way...

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 3:05 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hello list!
Regarding Hangouts, has anyone found a way to get rid of the random announcement of lots and lots of timestamps?
Kind regards,
Felix Grützmacher

It is focus mode.

Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:49 AM
By forms mode, remember, that is JAWS termanology.  I think NVDA calls it browse mode, so don't get confused.  Same thing though.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.