Re: VLC player app and W10

Gene

I would use it if I didn't want to install various codecs to use with another player for movies.  But for just listening to straight audio, such as Mp3 files, Winamp is more intuitive.  Left and right arrow moves you back and forward.  You don't use control left and right arrow as in VLC Player.  Preferences works better, at least with NVDA and I suspect with other screen-readers as well.  If I want to change something in preferences, I often change it and then I have to tab and shift tab to hear what the field now says.  I don't know how jump to time works in VLC Player.  In Winamp, you type control j, enter a time, and press enter.  I submit that one reason Winamp is still used so widely by blind people is for reasons such as I've discussed.  There is no reason to only use one program in all sorts of areas.  You often get benefits by using more than one program such as a player or a browser or a screen-reader.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] VLC player app and W10

I love the VLC media player, because it also plays movies so well, that traci goes on about the picture, and the sound is unbelievable. VLC plays any format I can think of, and you can customize it so much..

David Moore!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I don't have Windows 10 but it works according to discussions I've seen. 

As far as where to get it, one place is

there is a link that says Downloads on the page.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:44 PM

Yes. I agree. I like Winamp but can not find it to get it. Does it work for W10?

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:38 PM

Winamp is easier and more intuitive.  And I can get to play things in proper order.

I have VLC Player in case I want it to play something Winamp can't, but I almost never use it.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:14 PM

Just like it and is easy for me.

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:55 PM

Is there any reason you want to use the VLC player?  For straight listening, I much prefer Winamp and Winamp will probably play things in order.

As far as Windows media Player is concerned, it has a remarkably good rapid listening feature that allows you to speed up speech while leaving the pitch constant.  It is much better than the one you can use with Winamp or the one in VLC Player.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:33 PM

Yes. I know but I like VLC instead of WM player. I was hoping someone knew how to fix this. In the old VLC there was a setting that I could go to check something to make sure so it will play in order.

Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:08 PM

Holger,

You need to change your default app for Music Player.  If you hit the WinKey and immediately type "default app" the Default app settings pane should be the first thing returned in the results.  Open that and then find "Music Player" and change it from Windows Media Player to VLC.

--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.