From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann
Byrne
Sent: 28 April 2017 12:16
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Slow behavior of NVDA in Outlook 2016

It would be a real help to know not only *what to do, but *how *to *do *it.
I'm sure the information is in the documentation somewhere, but since you
obviously know how, it would be a real help if you would share.
At 10:45 PM 4/27/2017, you wrote:
Hi,
Core Mode (sometimes called "NVDA safe mode") is a term I coined to
describe running NVDA with all add-ons disabled. This comes from the
fact that NVDA is composed of a central core and add-ons on top of it
(we the NVDA developers sometimes use the term "NVDA Core" or just the
word "core" to describe the NVDA screen reader itself).
The ability to disable add-ons came in two phases:
1. All or nothing: this was introduced in 2015. This is done by telling
NVDA to (re)start with add-ons disabled.
2. Disable individual add-ons: this was introduced in 2016. With this,
one can disable individual add-ons in hopes of locating a possible
culprit for issues with add-ons.

With these in place, one of the things developers ask users to try is
run NVDA with add-ons disabled. If the issue is resolved, then we know
that the problem lies with add-ons, and we try to disable each add-on
until we find the offending add-on. If the problem persists, then we
ask folks to try reproducing the issue with different screen readers in
hopes of narrowing the scope a bit further.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph