Re: In-Process 4th May

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Nasrin,
I am not sure I understand your question, but I will try to explain.
When you buy something online, there is a button allowing you to add it to your list. There is a javascript program that displays the message visually: "you have added this article to your list". This message is not read by your screen reader. But if the site developer uses the appropriate ARIA element, this can tell NVDA that it should inform you that you have added this article to your list.
This is useful for us because we would not notice this message or should have to look for new information on the page when it appears. With ARIA, NVDA does the job for you.
But there are other more complex components that can be made accessible with ARIA such as a datepicker (to select a date in a calendar), or a system of tree, like the menus of your favorite text editor. ARIA helps to make them accessible and usable with a keyboard. It helps NVDA tell you that there is a sub-menu, that the menu is closed or opened.
I hope this helps.
Best
Sylvie

Le 05/05/2017 à 08:35, nasrin khaksar a écrit :
hi quentin.
thanks extremely for your great links.
i studied and fortunately it was not very technical.
but your explanation is more great and close to my question.
i realy appreciate your answer, it was extremely great and useful as
well as your post.
but one more question:
when we can see support accessibility of the web pages with fancy
scripts and flash controls?
thanks extremely again and God bless you.

On 5/5/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
Dear Nasrin,

Time for a wander through the halls of Wikipedia for you!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAI-ARIA

I thought that was a good place to start as it's not quite as technical as
some of the other references around. If you want something meatier, follow
some of the links in the "References" section of that page. Gez Lemon's
introduction to WAI Aria from Opera, which is also linked from the
Wikipedia page (in the External links section) is also a good read:
https://dev.opera.com/articles/introduction-to-wai-aria/

Briefly, the original HTML that traditional web pages are made up of, is
accessible. The problem is that more and more web pages were using fancy
scripts, flash controls and other things to extend the functionality of
their web offerings, many of which weren't accessible. ARIA isn't designed
to replace HTML, but rather to complement it when you want to do something
that you can't with straight HTML.

Back to NVDA, and it has had some support for ARIA from very early on. The
ARIA spec itself has been revised and updated and our support for ARIA has
also improved, so it's not that you need to wait for a particular version
of NVDA for ARIA support, just that we are gradually implementing support
for new features of ARIA, some of which takes more work behind the scenes
than others.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 4:25 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>
wrote:

hi quentin.
i sincerely appreciate your great effort and pray for you.
i studied the link and i wished that know about aria!
because i thought that all web pages are completely accessible and i
did not know about aria 1.1 and its benefit.
when can we use aria?
for example: after release of nvda 2017.2 we can use it because we
recieve support for dynamic web pages?
or different browsers like firefox and chrome should add support for
accessibility of dynamic web pages for blind users?
and another question which i have is:
what are the dynamic pages exactly?
do you mean the web pages that use javascript and frames?
thanks extremely for your help, God bless you, i pray for you and
request divine infinite mercy for you.

On 5/4/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
May the Fourth be with you!

Yes, it's time for another edition of In-Process.

This week, gearing up for NVDA 2017.2 and NVDACon. Plus an in-depth a
look
at the differences between installed, temporary and portable versions
of
#
NVDAsr
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/nvdasr?source=feed_