Re: Multi-User-Dungeons and NVDA

Gene

The only reason automatic reading of the sort you describe occurs is because in some instances, NVDA automatically uses read to end when something opens.  You are using read to end in all of the examples you discuss.  But are you saying you let web pages read, link after link and whatever else is at the top of pages before articles begin?  It's hard to believe.  If not when you move to what you want to read, how do you read?

Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:57 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Multi-User-Dungeons and NVDA

Static or not, Chrome reads pages for me when they come up, thunderbird reads new messages as they come up, winrar reads filenames when I arrow to them, the dos prompt reads automatically, the ssh client I use reads automatically as well.  The only thing that doesn't read automatically (and I suppose I could fix that if it bothered me enough) is notepad when I open txt files using notepad.  Otherwise, I never use the screen review mode unless I need to see something that already went past, and in most cases, I only use that if I need to leave the speech cursor somewhere other than the active cursor location, for times when I need to type something and don't know how to spell it without looking.  90 percent of the time, I leave NVDA in object review mode, and NVDA speaks things automatically, and if I miss something, I simply move around the screen using the cursor navigation keys to get to things without ever leaving object review mode.

On 5/11/2017 6:26 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know what would be involved in doing this.  I have long maintained that NVDA should have such a feature.  At this point, there are only specific interfaces where NVDA is set to do this, such as in the DOS prompt and evidently, in some mud programs and certain other contexts.  But the user can't control this as a general setting.

Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 5:02 PM

Thanks.

Most things such as web pages, emails, Word
documents, are static, in that the text just
appears once and you NVDA navigate to it using
the keyboard.

Theoretically, should NVDA have a mode where
it just reads everything on the page that
newly appears?

I suppose this only would apply to text games,
where text is dynamically appearing.