Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have the instructions of starting NVDA in safe mode. I did some checking though and found that the instructions I once had date back to 2011 and were originally posted in the blind cool tech forum. They also rquired that you downlad a set of registry keys from the sendspace.com website.  Well folks, it's been  6 years since then, and sendspace has long since changed their rules so you can pretty much guess wheere those files are. If your answer was data heaven, then, have a cigar, because you'd be correct. Perhaps, there is a way to perform this procedure, but for now,I will leave this for other brothers and sisters in arms to weigh in.  Tony

Tony

On 5/12/2017 8:58 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:

Hi,

My thoughts exactly.  Once the computer is in an open state like this, it is shall we say, vulnerable for the worms to eat into its brains. This is really  not a bad thing that avast is doing here.  It's all about protecting you in the long run. And um-installing your protection program should be one of the last things you have to do, unless things are in dire straights.  I believe that Norton and McAfee back in the day used similar methods, that required you to remove them either running them in safe mode, or registry editing.

Don't get things twisted, I do not like having to do either of these procedures myself, and have done so occasionally, I do highly recommend that you have sighted assistance, and be sure that it is someone who knows what they are doing. You don't want to be making mistakes in either mode. As for running NVDA in safe mode, I believe that there were instructions on how to do it posted on a list years ago and I may still have them around.  I'll check in and post them if I do. Keep in mind, these instructions go back a ways and there may be better ways to perform this procedure now so if there are better ways, please if you haven't done so already, follow up. Much thanks inadvnace.

Tony

On 5/12/2017 3:52 AM, Gene wrote:
It's very likely a security feature.  If the program could be removed as you suggest, malware could use the same method to remove AVAST.  The need to use Safe Mode or solve a captcha in such a tool is actually a sign of quality and better protection for the antivirus program against being attacked by malware it doesn't recognize and thus doesn't stop.

Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 2:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] AVAST

I have a feeling that the complete uninstall requires safe mode with minimal
drivers loaded. Its one reason I don't like avast myself. it needs an
uninstall utility to remove it completely and that itself needs to run in
safe mode. Quite why it cannot do most of it in normal mode then remove the
rest on the next boot up like many security programsdo eludes me.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-