From: Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:11 am
Subject: Re: [nvda] Buttons Not Working On Some Websites

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:51 am, Gene wrote:

I don't know what you are seeing as buttons.
I don't know if the original poster might be partially sighted or, for that matter, if you may be Gene, but based just upon the entire response I've quoted part of I suspect not

One of the things that drives me crazy as a sighted instructor for screen reader learners is the fact that there are now tons of websites that present what are links under the guise of buttons as far as the visual presentation goes. I will often say to a student, "Use the 'b' shortcut to jump around the buttons until you hear . . .,was when that seems appropriate only to find that what appears to be a button in reality is not. It's getting even harder to tell now with the "flat look" being all the rage and there being no attempt to give visual 3D-ish effects to a button. Buttons appear as a non-photographic graphic rather than an imitation of a button with shading, etc., and effectively are like what used to be called hotspots (and probably still are when you're talking about different areas of a large photograph on which various areas can be activated like a button or link).

I went to that website and it is possible that there are some of those evil "looks like a button but is actually a link" situations, but I'd need a specific page to test that out.
--
Brian Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

~ Mark Twain