Re: working with tables in microsoft word

Andre Fisher

You can press Tab and Shift+Tab to move between cells, column by
column, row by row. If you arrive at the last cell and press Tab
though, a new cell will be entered.

On 5/17/17, enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@gmail.com> wrote:
hi,

That is absolutely briliant. Those key commands constrain me within the
table, and allow me to move around within it. To enter data into a
column, do I just activate browse mode and start typing? I would
previously activate browse mode, and arrow through the table until I
found the spot and start typing. That was a really bad idea.

On 5/17/2017 9:10 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

When I land in the first cell of the table I can navigate the
table in NVDA using CTRL+ALT+Arrow Key of Direction I Wish to Go. I
remain constrained within the table if I try to use that key sequence
in a direction that would take me out of it. I can't remember the
precise announcement, but it's quite clear that you're either at the
first/last column/row of the table and you need to choose another
direction.

I have no trouble typing in any of the cells I land in. If
you have a table that's pre-formatted with either column headings
and/or row headings you'll likely want to use the Set Column Headers
and/or Set Row Headers command (see the section on Microsoft Word in
the Commands Quick Reference), but perhaps not. It depends on how
well you know the structure of the table in question and how confident
you are about knowing exactly where you are inside it.

There is also an Add-On written by Joseph Lee, Easy Table
Navigator
<https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/easyTableNavigator.en.html>,
that allows you to create a "table layer" situation within NVDA such
that when you invoke it you can simply use the arrow keys themselves
to move within a table when that feature is on. I just e-mailed
Joseph about this add-on because the toggle that you use to change
states is not defined by the add-on itself, but must be defined by the
user. He says you do this after you install the add-on by going to
NVDA Menu, Preferences, Input Gestures.

I asked for a copy of the template because I cannot imagine
precisely why you'd be tossed out of a table when you attempt to type
in a cell if you're in focus mode when you begin to do so. If you're
in browse mode heaven knows what might happen depending on what key
you're pressing as part of the word you've started to type.

--
/Brian/Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

*//**/Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness,
and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad,
wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by
vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime./*

*/~ Mark Twain/*