Re: FW: Chrome updates

Gene

Perhaps someone with the technical knowledge might explain why the JAWS cursor or the Window-eyes mouse pointer seems to be different than working with an actual physical mouse.  As I understand it, when you move the JAWS cursor or the Window-eyes mouse pointer, you are actually moving whatever the physical mouse moves internally.  I don't know enough to know how to express that accurately.  But it appears there are times you can get information with the physical mouse and NVDA that you can't get with the JAWS or Window-eyes mouse movement commands.

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] FW: Chrome updates

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 04:58 pm, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:
I think I remember having to do a slow glide with the mouse one time but I don't recall what I was trying to find. There are times when a physical mouse does come in handy.

It was really, really interesting to me when I started playing with NVDA because, to my knowledge, it is the only screen reader that has the mouse tracking feature and that behaves as NVDA does in response to actual mouse movement.  I understand why, both for practical and historical reasons, the mouse has been a non-entity in the screen-reader-user world.  A good friend of mine refers to it as "the rodent," which I've always found extremely amusing.

But, with the advent of touch screens, where the finger is acting as a direct "mouse pointer" it's clear to me that the concepts that NVDA is using with mouse tracking will map, but in a very functional way, to finger travel on the touch screen.  My clients who use smartphones don't find it peculiar at all to use the touch screen with their finger even though they can't see it, because the finger position covers the actual screen territory.  With a mouse pad there's a "smaller to larger" mapping that's not directly intuitive and you can (and do) fall off the edge and sometimes re-emerge on the other if you go to far.  That's even worse with a conventional mouse and monitor.  The correspondence between a touch screen and "finger pointer" is more direct, tactile, and visceral.

I foresee the use of "mouse tracking" as applied to finger pointing as having huge potential to allow a person to explore a screen quickly, and at random locations, should they wish to do so.  There's a huge power in that and it's not being tapped on a routine basis as things stand now.