Re: A short overview of what's new, changed, and removed in NVDA 2017.2

UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu

Thank you for hart work for all nvda team. It is great program that
will get better and better. I have an issue using braille edge for
reading adobi digital additions content. I don't know if is there
anyway to solve this problem? Braille edge doesn't recognize the text
and that doesn't happen with jaws.
If there is anyway to solve this issue, That will help me a lot in my studies.
Best regards

Dear NVDA community,

As some of you are testing NVDA 2017.2 release candidate, I'd like to take
moment to give you an overview of things added, changed, and removed in the
upcoming version. Because entries in "what's new" document might sound a
bit
technical for many, I decided to write a release notes style post, similar
to notes for releases of other screen readers and products.

What's new in NVDA 2017.2

Highlights: Aria-current support, return of full audio ducking feature in
Windows 10 Creators Update, faster response in Edge when navigating by
line,
UI Automation support improvements, more Unicode symbols added, some
deprecated code removed.

Aria-current

Aria-current is a way to markup current step, page, time, date and others
on
a webpage. For example, when navigating some pages such as Mobile Facebook
page, you may encounter phrases such as "current page" or "current time".
NVDA can now detect and announce these attributes when you encounter them.

More Unicode symbols added

NVDA can now announce more Unicode symbols such as fractions such as
one-fifths, one-tenth and others.

Significant improvements for Edge

Previously, if you were reading multilingual documents in Edge and
configured NVDA to switch languages on the fly, NVDA could not switch
languages. This has been fixed. Also, NVDA will respond faster (up to three
times faster) when navigating by line in Edge. Lastly, various improvements
were added to support Edge better in Windows 10 Creators Update.

Audio ducking makes a full return in Windows 10 Creators Update

In NVDA 2017.1, the "always duck" option was removed when using Windows 10
Creators Update. This option is back in 2017.2.

Deprecated code removed

Various code included in earlier versions of NVDA, such as speech.REASON_
constants and deprecated configuration management functions were removed.

Other enhancements

* NVDA will no longer prevent you from navigating to certain objects
where shortcut keys were not defined.
* Two empty spaces are no longer added when displaying keyboard
shortcuts for UI Automation controls.
* When issuing read current line command three times, the synthesizer
in use will apply currently using language to read text, as well as use
character descriptions for characters for certain languages.
* Windows Calculator that ships with Windows Server 2016 and Windows
10 Enterprise LTSB are supported.
* NVDA will skip UIA controls marked as layout when performing object
navigation with simple review mode turned on.
* Menu items on various websites can be activated in browse mode.
* Various selection issues in browse mode were fixed, including an
issue where select all would not work if the browse mode cursor is located
on positions other than start of a page.
* Burmese is now a supported language, bringing translations to 51
languages.
* Added basic unit testing framework.

Sneak preview of features under active testing

Note that features below may change as time progresses, and are based on
features being tested by alpha snapshot users.

* Windows OneCore voices (Windows 10 only): you can now use Windows
OneCore (aka SAPI Mobile) voices directly from NVDA without use of an
add-on
(listen to various NVDACon 2017 sessions for a sample).
* Search suggestion sounds (Windows 10 and possibly other places):
when you type text into edit fields that display search suggestions, you'll
hear a sound when suggestions appear. You can turn this off from Object
Presentation dialog. This means you won't need Windows 10 App Essentials
add-on to use this functionality. Listen to NVDACon 2017's Windows 10 and
universal apps with screen readers session for more details (audio to be
made available soon).
* Many other small improvements under the hood.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
psikoloji lisans öğrencisi- b.a student in psychology

kucevre@...
www.facebook.com/kucevre
koç üniversitesi: rumeli feneri yolu 34450 sarıyer istanbul/turkiye.