Re: A very damn well written article promoting NVDA

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

How do you use the feature if you’re trying to read an article?   Also is it true with the latest Firefox you can’t use WebVvisum?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] A very damn well written article promoting NVDA

It doesn't fix bugs.  The only thing it does is provide security updates.  It provides such support because many people can't use Edge yet because they don't use Windows 10.  Also, Edge is not fully accessible yet.  But no technical improvements have been made in Internet Explorer for years.  It is really legacy software that gets security fixes at this point.

One feature firefox has that some blind people find useful is one that removes lots of extraneous material from web pages with articles on them such as newspaper or magazine articles. 

Another feature I very much like is searchable book marks.  I don't worry about organizing book marks.  I can search for the one I want so easily that if it is inconvenient to get to it by arrowing or by first letter navigation, I do a search.  I don't use addons to any extent but Firefox has a lot of add ons.  Internet Explorer doesn't have many. 

And I suspect that Internet Explorer, as it ages, works more poorly on more sites than firefox or Chrome.  Also, Internet Explorer supports Active X controls which are a needless security risk.  Neither Firefox nor Chrome support Active X controls by default and site designers don't use them these days.  But Internet Explorer still supports them, providing a useless feature, that serves as a vector to try to put malware onto machines.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:36 PM

If it’s outdated why does Microsoft update it and fix bugs with patches?  Why is Firefox better in your opinion?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:33 PM

One bug on one site is hardly a reason not to donate.  Demanding users of any screen-reader probably are aware of at least one bugg in whatever screen-reader they use. 

Internet Explorer is increasingly archaic and it isn't a good idea to cling to it.  You will have more and more problems over time as it becomes increasingly outdated.  I have no objection to this bug being looked into.  But I'm saying that Internet Explorer is not being developed and hasn't been for years.  Other browsers are just about identical to use for browsing.  Browse mode is browse mode in any browser that supports it. 

You have to learn something about working with settings in different browsers because the actual interface is different but there isn't much to learn whether you use Chrome or Firefox as the main browser.  Most of what you do will be exactly the same.  And Firefox has features that Internet Explorer doesn't have that are of real advantage to many users if you know them.  I would never go back to Internet Explorer after seeing how useful certain firefox features are.  

I try to encourage blind people to stop using Internet Explorer as their main browser because it is not a good idea to do so with a browser that becomes more outdated every day.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:49 AM

I reported it to the git hub and to Quinton I don’t know what else to do but since you asked I will report it hear as well.

1 set

www.ixquick.com as your home in internet explorer.

2 do the same in Firefox.

Now using Internet explorer do a search press h for heading  try clicking on any link in the search results  .  Nothing will happen.

If you do the same in Firefox the link will click.  I shouldn’t have to use Firefox or a browser I don’t want to use or am not comfortable with just for it to work right.  If the issues I stated were fixed I would gladly donate to NVDA.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:39 PM

Hi,

Part of that involves users telling us how to reproduce bugs so the talented devs (inside and outside NV Access) can troubleshoot them. I’m not saying this lightly: user cooperation is also a key in making screen readers better.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:38 AM

That requires NVDA start to fix bugs in a timely manner and add features that Jaws has like when you have messages rules set up and you have 14 unread messages give me the option to have that read automatically when I arrow to the NVDA folder it says NVDA14 unread messages or something like that.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of The Wolf
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:11 PM

I have to agree

lets tell vfo where to shove it

and get more people to drop jaws and switch to nvda

On 5/24/2017 9:08 AM, Devin Prater wrote:

I agree, this was a great article!

Devin Prater
Assistive Technology in training, World Services for the Blind
Sent from Mail for windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:34 AM

Except that every time someone says Floss to me I think of teeth.

sorry.

Brian

bglists@...

Sent via blueyonder.

Please address personal email to:-

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:04 AM

> Wow! This is great! I'll forward it to all my friends, blind and

> sighted...

> I usually donate to NVDA each time a new version comes out, but I think I

> won't wait for NVDA 2017.2 to be officially released. This time I'll make

> an early donation to celebrate this great article... (smile).

> Ciao, and thanks Christopher!

> Ollie

> Il 23/05/2017 23:47, Lino Morales ha scritto:

>> Chris Hoffstater wrote a damn good article on his blog about NVDA which

>> you can read here.

>> 

>> http://chrishofstader.com/nvda-now-more-than-ever/

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>

>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.