Re: A very damn well written article promoting NVDA

Kevin Cussick

Yes agreed, we need to think before we post sometimes.

On 24/05/2017 19:05, Kwork wrote:
And I also believe that the best way to talk up NVDA isn't to tell VFO to shove it, and we, as grateful NVDA users, need to watch how we present ourselves so that we don't look ridiculous.
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Gene <mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Sent:* Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:26 AM
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] A very damn well written article promoting NVDA
The article makes interesting points but it's really overdone. Here is most of a message I sent to another list on the subject. I have added more comments.
The assertion that a screen-reader can make a great piece of spyware sounds plausible to me, someone without in depth technical knowledge. I suspect that it is technically true but I hardly think that VFO would risk the reputation of JAWS by doing so. It would be illegal on its face, I would think and it would certainly be illegal if it weren't spelled out in the user agreement. JAWS is very heavily dependent on business use for its revenue. As one example of liability, if JAWS collected information, anyone business or individual doing medical work in The United States where a person's name is ever used, could prosecute VFO for violating the patient privacy act. And that's just one example that comes to mind. Are there blind psychiatrists or psychologists or social workers or people who work for them who use JAWS to keep patient records? Another case of devastating liability for JAWS. How about lawyers? The idea that the owners of JAWS would turn it into spyware is just not credible. To paraphrase the late Justice Scalia, it should strain the credulity of the credulous. People may criticize JAWS and its developers for various reasons but it makes no sense to believe that the company is suicidal.
And what is the risk when compared to the benefits? The blind user base isn't large enough nore affluent enough to even begin to justify such risks, even if the company were suicidal.
I'd have to read the article again to see if I disagree with other assertions, but that was the one I really remember. There is no question that NVDA is a necessary program and that it fills a vital need in many peoples' lives. And over time, JAWS will, I would think, lose an increasing amount of market share in the personal market. It may lose some business market share over time as well. But when assessing the need for NVDA and its future, paranoia about the irrationality of the major competitor is not a good basis to build a good deal of the argument.
If you make such assertions, you lose credibility for your assertions that are well based. And even here, one assertion I recall is possible but highly improbable at this time. The assertion that JAWS is more likely to disappear may be correct, but its highly improbable unless things change dramatically and it should be regarded more as a remote possibility and largely academic at this time.
There are lots of compelling arguments to support and use NVDA. But such arguments as make up much of this article, while interesting and provocative, are so far-fetched, even though possible, that they are not a good basis to form much of such arguments. They may gain support for NVDA among some people but they may needlessly erode support among some JAWS users, making NVDA appear more like a project supported by paranoid fanatics than what it actually is, a project that is hard-headed and realistic in its development and outlook.