Re: Window-Eyes Tutorials and Transition

Tony Ballou

howdy Mate,

I've started working on the chart and would like your input and feedback on it so far. Because of it's length, 8 pages and probably counting, it is far too long to post here. I'm basically concentrating on the things I'm totally familiar with in both screen readers and leaving the review and object navigation modes for another time.  I for now just want to give anyone who is coming from window eyes to NVDA enough ammunition to get going and begin to feel comfortable with using the program.

In my own personal experience, I learned NVDA by knowing all of the basic windows commands, and studying the help documentation that came with it. And as a new weapon of choice, I've added the accessibilitycentral.net website to my arsenal of darn near all things NVDA.

Contact me off list at cyberpro224@... if you want to give this a go.

Tony

On 5/24/2017 1:49 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't think describing how to use object navigation is a good idea in this context.  Giving resources for those interested, such as the tutorial chapter done by Joseph Lee would probably be a much better idea in terms of use of those creating such materials' time.  Also, the user in most cases, doesn't have to know about object navigation when first making the transition.  Better not to overload the user with a difficult concept to teach such as this at the outset.

Using screen review mode can easily be explained in a work such as you are creating and it must be emphasized that after using screen review, the user must return to object navigation mode because if this isn't done, NVDA won't work properly in various contexts.  So just explaining how to enter screen review, numpad insert numpad 7 executed until you hear that there are no more review modes, then give the review commands to read current line, move to and read next line, etc. could be given.  How to move the mouse and click it could also be given.

then how to return to object navigation, numpad insert 1 repeated until there are no more review modes would be done when finished.

It is better not to give Window-eyes and NVDA equivalent commands in the context of screen-review.  There are many equivalent commands but going into screen-review and returning to object navigation has no equivalent in Window-eyes.  this might be pointed out.  As for movement commands, the Window-eyes user will recognize equivalents such as read current line without the tutorial pointing out the actual Window-eyes command.

The listener or reader will know what is being discussed when the NVDA commands are given.

Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Window-Eyes Tutorials and Transition

Howdy Mate,

That's what I was thinking also. If there are any other window eyes users out there whether they be former like myself or current who would like to help me with this endeavor, come on in, because there's loads I don't know. I'll try to have some basic ground work for the sheet up for all of you to look at by tomorrow.

Tony
On 5/23/2017 5:09 PM, Gene wrote:
You can't compare the Window-eyes mouse pointer to object navigation.  You can give commands in NVDA for read current line, previous line, next line, and similar review commands

But you have to learn object navigation on its own.

Screen review should be easy to teach since it is similar.  There are different commands but it's similar in movement and concept.

Commands such as read to end can be given.  As for browse mode, commands are either similar or identical in Window-eyes or NVDA.  I haven't used Window-eyes to any extent for years but just listing NVDA commands such as move by heading, h, skip blocks of links, n, move to next button, b, etc. should be sufficient. It should be explained how to stop automatic going into browse mode and how to change audio indications to words.

As I more or less said earlier,  most of what most users do is use program commands, Windows commands, and quick navigation commands.

In my opinion, that is the first important point to be made.
Maybe I'll try writing something.

Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:42 PM

Hi,

Give me a couple of days, Let me see what I can come up with

Tony

On 5/23/2017 2:38 PM, Brandon Cross wrote:
Yeah, agreed, I tried window eyes briefly, not enough to get a grasp on it, but if anyone did know both intimately, it would be a worthwhile venture to make a little cheat sheet, or more if needed. An article of sourts maybe.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 7:40 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Amen!

I will be here to help anyone coming from Window-Eyes to switch to NVDA for their screen reader. I hope this does become a great way to promote NVDA and get many more people acquainted with it.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10