Re: fear mongering? Re: [nvda] New Blog Post: Will VFO Acquire NV Access?

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

The blog post was pointless in my opinion.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bhavya shah
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: fear mongering? Re: [nvda] New Blog Post: Will VFO Acquire NV Access?

Hi Eric,
No, I have no role at NV Access in that sense, but consider myself simply an educated NVDA user. I have striven to not be subjective or opininiated in the blog post, and any views I may have personally expressed are also backed with facts. All in all, I have nowhere stated in my piece anything but publicly verifiable facts. The 'VFO Acquires NV Access' situation was one that I thought needed explication after I read a related debate on another online forum where people actually believed that NVDA was purchasable.
No worries if you missed attending NVDACon International 2017 live.
All sessions have been recorded, and some have already been archived while a few others are being actively edited for public availability.
Check https://www.nvdacon.org/past-conferences for the same.
Competition always spurs bilateral, trilateral and multilateral innovation, and innovation is all that matters to the end-user.
Consumers are always better off with choices and alternatives to pick from. Therefore, a monopoly is almost always something worth avoiding.
Thanks.
P.S. In case anyone has missed the original article being discussed, its URL is https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/2017/05/28/will-vfo-acquire-nv-access/

Well I don't want nvda to be jawasified to be honest.

Unless ofcause it meant that jaws for home users was free and fs were
not so stupid about licences, ie pro for running on oses with pro in
them and no extra features.

On the other hand, if microsoft simply intigrated narator and nvda
together and we could continue having nvda as a major part of windows
and could continue to update it and continue the opensource model like
chrome and chromium, etc does then I'd nave no issue with it..

While narator has a lot of issues meaning its still quite bad in some
situations there is no doubt about it, it does have a few more tricks
being intergrated into windows like that and we don't it would be a
huge boost.

It does seem the next reader to probably go is the dolphin one since
its only supporting ie and a few other things.

My issue is having everyone jawsified.

Jaws hasn't inovated to much either, true its the biggest but things
can't stay stale like this.

What I like about nvda is even when its core doesn't move, there are
more modules for it.

And the users also can develop for it so if there is a problem or a
need you ask and at some point soon someone will do it.

On 30/05/2017 6:11 a.m., erik burggraaf wrote:
Just to follow up, I read the blog post, and it's not fearmongering.
I wish I had been available for nvda con. I had surgery at the time
and missed the festivities.

Based on the transcript provided in the blog post, my dream of NVDA
becoming a core windows component is just that and can never happen.

I still don't understand, and the article fails to explain, why
screen reader monopolies are bad. Apple has two very successful ones.
Android doesn't preclude any one from developing a screen reader, but
google's product is good enough now that it's put numerous screen
access and accessibility suite tools out of business, and the biggest
losers there unfortunately are the early adopters who largely paid
and now have no viable product.

How would we feel if NVDA became the recognized gold standard and a
combination of NVDA and built in tools for windows forced VFO out of
the AT software market? I suspect most of us would feel better about
a market controlled by NVAccess than we would about one controlled by
VFO, but if we don't want an AT monopoly, who will compete with NVDA
when governments stop funding AT for good? Will we still love the
more established NVDA when the next upstart comes along, or will the
new thing fade into obscurity leaving NVDA with what amounts to an
unchallenged monopoly?

I haven't really observed negative effects of screen reader
monopolies on other platforms, and personally I'd welcome a monopoly
driven by NVDA in the windows space. I don't really see that
happening either, but NVDA continues to meet the needs of consumers
and it's easy to see the passion users and contributers have for it.

Best,

Erik

On May 29, 2017 1:41:55 PM "erik burggraaf" <erik@erik-burggraaf.com>
wrote:

Pardon folks,

Could it be that I have an overdeveloped sense of delete button?
Have I missed important announcements from nvda developers, blog
posts, or interviews intimating that ownership changes are in the
offing at NV Access? Have I missed similar from any company
intimating they wish to buy up interest in NV Access? Have there
been development changes in the nvda sycle that suggest new
directions in control of the product? Please direct me to those if
they exist.

I haven't read Bavia. Does he have a roll in development of NVDA or
directing interest there-in? I suspect not. Well, Chris Hofsteader
has some things on the ball and others not. Despite what he has to
say about VFO's adjenda he clearly has one of his own and despite
his experience in the industry, his facts aren't always right. I
ask you where Bavia is coming from and whether his experience
suggests he may have knowledge or perspective beyond that of an end
user?

Why are we talking about an acquisition of NVDA as if it's a thing
that could happen? No evidence have I observed to justify any such.

I was a proud window-eyes user for 10 years, and signs of it's
impending discontinuance had been available for any to see for years
before the acquisitions. Development slowed, then stopped. Spin
off software from new developers emerged to keep the company
generating reviniew. Old hands left not to be replaced. Dan and
Doug are retired, presumably happily, and never was there ever a
thought in the hofsteader post that insiders at gw micro were ready
to move on at the time of the acquisitions. As far as I know,
nothing like this is looming on the horizon of NV access.
Correct me
if I'm wrong.

Personally, I think that the end of windows as we know it will have
a much bigger impact on NVDA than the VFO group. Those people will
milk access for all they can get while the gettin is still somewhat
good, but does any one here believe the money in the AT market now
is on par with what it was
5 and 10 years ago? In November of 2016, dollar volume of mobile
device sales globally exceeded dollar volume of personal computer
sales for the first time, while PC sales themselves have been
steadily droping since 2011 and have not been bouncing back. Both
major opperating systems in the pc space have gone from completely
paid to free or alternatively priced in an attempt to revive
interest in the personal computer, but corporations and consumers
are slowly pulling the bandaids off of their eyes.
Accessibility
features of mobile devices are equal to or better than those built
into personal computers. Mobile devices can be had cheaper outright
than pc's, and better communication regulations are forcing carriers
to share back more of their prophets with users in the form of more
user friendly contracts, and more service delivery for less money.
Canada isn't really onboard unfortunately, but the rest of the
western world seems to be doing more to provide value for money over
all. The two biggest mobile players, IOS and android, have
professional quality accessibility suites built in and those tools
are getting better.

To me, it makes more sense for microsoft to buy NVDA and make it a
core operating system feature in place of narrator than for VFO to
acquire it just to put it out of business. At least MS with full
control over development and system intergration would have the
ability to make money from the product, even if the income stream
were nowhere near enough to pay for development.

The real questions are, what will the next itteration of windows in
a year or two look like? and, How much longer will I want a personal
computer?
Myself, I haven't owned a computer in nine months. The only thing I
missed about a pc was the ability to store large files, and I got a
little box for
$150 to hook up to a drive tower last month. I need a bigger,
better phone, but the only time I'm prevented from doing anything I
want on my phone is when there's a badly designed website or
inaccessible app. The fact that I can litterally work anywhere, and
have access to modern computing will mean that I will never want a
computer for day to day use again, and you'll be there yourself in
the next 1-3 years. How windows and NVDA fit in modern computing
remains to be seen as far as I'm concerned. I don't see it
disappearing over night, but I don't see it lasting forever either.
Yes, I still have an old dos machine, and yes, I do regret not
taking the old apple IIe I was offered back in 2005, but that
doesn't mean I use information the way I did in the 80's and 90's.

I'm a proud NVDA contributer and I plan to use nothing else on any
windows systems I may need in future, but I don't think NVDA will
last forever, nor do I think it necessarily should last forever, nor
do I believe the people working on NVDA will pull the rug out from
under us with no warning, nor do I believe speculation without
information contributes meaningfully to the community. Fire away if
you think I'm wrong, but seriously, there's no reason for panick or
uncertainty that I can see.

Best,

Erik

On May 29, 2017 12:44:36 PM "Rosemarie Chavarria"
<knitqueen2007@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I don't think V F O will acquire NV access. We need to keep NVDA
open source as it is now because so many people can't afford to pay
for Jaws plus the upgrades. I hope and pray that NVDA will stay as it is now.

Rosemarie