Re: love the new sounds

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

I would also like to vote for this feature. I don't use the sounds myself.

On June 1, 2017 8:28:44 AM "Laz" <laz@...> wrote:

My vote is for the capability of turning off sounds.

Laz

On 6/1/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I cause all sounds not to be played, if necessary by inserting very short
blank wave files in the sounds folder. I see no reason for any sounds and I
think there should be some sort of all off setting for those who don't want
any. Aside from that, my question is, why do the new sounds have to be odd
and novel, seemingly just different for differences' sake. Why does one of
the settings in the browse mode/focus mode notification have to sound like a
frog clearing its throat and the other be an odd chord? Why do the start
and unload sounds have to be odd chords whose main purpose aside from the
intended one seems to be to call attention to their oddness. I'm not saying
I like the newer or the older sounds more. As I said, I don't like sounds
in general. but what I'm saying is, maybe the whole idea of why sounds
sound as they do should be reconsidered. Maybe a pleasant chord sounding
like a synthesizer imitating a string instrument playing a major chord
should signify browse mode while a very different sound, maybe a stream
flowing or the musical instrument that sounds like water flowing could be
used for focus mode, or if something more assertive is wanted, the sound of
a trumpet playing a note.

I'm not advocating for these specific sounds. I'm saying that just odd
sounding novelty for the sake of odd sounding novelty is not a proper basis
on which to define sounds, in my opinion.

Why isn't there a feature for the user to define sounds. It might take
sounds from the Windows sounds folder and the user could choose, along with
whatever sounds have been selected for the program to use that are original
NVDA sounds.

And I'll point out that Microsoft has a none option for events in Windows
and a no sounds provile already available as well.