Re: Continuous reading with NVDA

Andre Fisher

Why don't you try reading it in Adobe Reader?

On 6/11/17, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have to bring this topic up to date, I'm afraid!

The continuous read as described below, applies as much to Ms Word as to
Firefox. I switched over to JAWS 17 to see if I could read a lengthy report
in Word 2016. JAWS is able to keep going without swapping or staggering the
text. NVDA, on the other hand, is not able to keep up and makes the most
uncanny slips. It could be reading a paragraph of five lines and will only
read the first three lines then jump back to the paragraph before and lose
the position. When I try to reposition by moving the arrow keys, I cannot
identify whether I am above or below the interrupted piece.

I have to finish studying this document and so I had to switch over the JAWS
so that I could concentrate on the meaning of the words. Is this a known
problem? Can I do anything?

Please see my original description below for details of my OS and the
problem with Firefox and PDF files.

The following is my Original message to the list:

I am really delighted with NVDA! It is so easy to use and manages almost
every situation that I meet. Well done to all involved in the development
team!

I normally use Firefox to browse the web and so I am using NVDA v.
2017.2with Firefox version 53.0.3. Normally I have no problems with this
combination. Lately, however, I have begun to read lengthy PDF reports which
linked to a web page that I am working from. The page title shows that The
PDF documents is being reading in Firefox itself. They are not in Adobe
anyway. As NVDA gets closer to the bottom of the page, I notice that the
sentences get interrupted and I have to move up-arrow to the previous
recognisable point to pick up the flow of the text again. I tried to compare
this behaviour with JAWS 16 but JAWS did not seem to be able to manage
anything in Firefox.

I then opened the same link in Ms. Edge, still using NVDA, and was able to
read the full document. Here the "overlapping" effect was not present and I
read the PDF file perfectly.

Has anyone else noticed this effect in Firefox with PDF files? Is there any
reading command that would handle the file differently so that I don't lose
track like this?

IF the technical team are interested, I would be happy to put on the log to
track the behaviour to see if there is something that needs to be done
inside NVDA.

All the best,

Cearbhall

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.