From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andre Fisher
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 6:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Continuous reading with NVDA

Why don't you try reading it in Adobe Reader?

On 6/11/17, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie> wrote:
Hi all,

I have to bring this topic up to date, I'm afraid!

The continuous read as described below, applies as much to Ms Word as
to Firefox. I switched over to JAWS 17 to see if I could read a
lengthy report in Word 2016. JAWS is able to keep going without
swapping or staggering the text. NVDA, on the other hand, is not able
to keep up and makes the most uncanny slips. It could be reading a
paragraph of five lines and will only read the first three lines then
jump back to the paragraph before and lose the position. When I try to
reposition by moving the arrow keys, I cannot identify whether I am above or below the interrupted piece.

I have to finish studying this document and so I had to switch over
the JAWS so that I could concentrate on the meaning of the words. Is
this a known problem? Can I do anything?

Please see my original description below for details of my OS and the
problem with Firefox and PDF files.

The following is my Original message to the list:

I am really delighted with NVDA! It is so easy to use and manages
almost every situation that I meet. Well done to all involved in the
development team!

I normally use Firefox to browse the web and so I am using NVDA v.
2017.2with Firefox version 53.0.3. Normally I have no problems with
this combination. Lately, however, I have begun to read lengthy PDF
reports which linked to a web page that I am working from. The page
title shows that The PDF documents is being reading in Firefox itself.
They are not in Adobe anyway. As NVDA gets closer to the bottom of the
page, I notice that the sentences get interrupted and I have to move
up-arrow to the previous recognisable point to pick up the flow of the
text again. I tried to compare this behaviour with JAWS 16 but JAWS
did not seem to be able to manage anything in Firefox.

I then opened the same link in Ms. Edge, still using NVDA, and was
able to read the full document. Here the "overlapping" effect was not
present and I read the PDF file perfectly.

Has anyone else noticed this effect in Firefox with PDF files? Is
there any reading command that would handle the file differently so
that I don't lose track like this?

IF the technical team are interested, I would be happy to put on the
log to track the behaviour to see if there is something that needs to
be done inside NVDA.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

----------- I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam.
The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing
emails.