Re: Which Python version, for NVDA?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes there are, but very few for those who have not used object orientated concepts in the past, and a good many which do not explain in words the syntax, ie preferring often screenshots.
Really object oriented is a concept to get ones head around. In the old days we tended to kind of construct objects in arrays of course but that was about it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Which Python version, for NVDA?

Hi David,

Actually Python is a very easy language to pick up, if you have an experience with other programming languages you will pick up Python in no time. Also Python is very fun language to program with!
There a lot of tutorials for Python programming, I found quite many just giving "python tutorial" search under Google, for example:
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/
https://www.learnpython.org/
http://www.python-course.eu/course.php

Just one thing, it is better to make sure, tutorial covers python 2.7 and not 3.x. There are quite big differences between 2.7 and 3.x and I think, NVDA supports 2.7 only.

Fill free to ask, if you have any Python-related questions.
Igorkaplan45@gmail.com

Good luck!

Igor.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 1:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Which Python version, for NVDA?

Listers,
I do realize this might be out of scope for this very list, but still hoped someone could give me a pound of feedback on the matter.

I am one of the long-time Window-Eyes users, that currently are left in the bewildered state of choosing a new screen reader, with all that includes for decision-making. I further have been contributing with apps (or what you typically will be naming add-ons) under Window-eyes. For one thing, I am the author of the Extended Dictionary - which became quite popular under the WinEyes screen reader.

Further, I have been programming under a few environments, for a number of years. Now's time to move on, and learn something new. Either I will have to transmit to Jaws, and learn their scripting environment. Or, I will have to go into NVDA, and learn to build and modify code for that screen reader, if I want to continue taking control on the higher level, of what is being presented to my ears.

If I am correct in my received information, NVDA is being developed under Python; one of the programming languages I have not really had any experience with so far. I did some searching on the net, for any good general tutorials or books, for Python programming. In one of these, I learned that there seems to co-exist several versions of the Python language, and that it is important to have the right one installed, even if it is not necessarily the newest. I am not in a position to know to what extent such info is correct. But could someone at least tell me the
following:

Which Python version should I get installed, and where is the best place to get it? Obviously, I am running Windows, 7Pro.

Is there any tutorial, that you might suggest, for a newbie under the Python? That is, I do have long-time programming experience, but is totally new to the Python language.

It has been my understanding, that there would be an attempt to create a tutorial for developing stuff for the NVDA screen reader. If this is correct, where can I find such material?

Again, obviously, what I am looking for, is something that will take me from the very basics, and onward - in such a simple way that it is possible for self-education. And no, I do not have anything more than 24 hours in my day, so great if things are accompanied with some easy to follow sample codes. Smiles.

Thanks to all who might point me on the road. :)

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.