Re: I have a favor to ask of the NVDA user community

Ricardo Leonarczyk

Hi,

You can try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipmq7lr61bkwnvk/AppsKeyActivator.py?dl=1

You'll need to put it in your globalPlugins folder: %appdata%\nvda\globalPlugins
Then restart NVDA. The shortcut is alt+shift+space bar.

OK, this is a little bit of a unique situation, but I'm sure I'm probably
not the only person who's run into this predicament.

I have an HP laptop which more specifically is the HP 250G5.

Though this system is absolutely incredible, I love it, there is one thing,
and really only! about one thing, that I do not like about it.

Unfortunately, this system has no physical application's key. Trust me. I've
gone into keyboard help, and have practically hit everything under the sun!
It's not even something where holding down FN along with another key will do
it. I even have gone so far as to get ahold of HP, and they confirmed that
the key doesn't exist on this model.

A few possibilities therefore are an external keyboard that has this key.
Well, there went my portability.

The other would be to hit shift+F10 to open the context menu on the focused
item. Normally 99.9 percent of the time, this would be OK, but, my keys F1
through F10 are not spaced apart tacticly, and I'm a very firm believer in
not putting dots on my keys. To me, that just feels utterly disgusting, and
I always shutter when working with students who's keys are that way. If it
helps you, great! Do it, but for me, it makes it more confusing.

This leads me to my final sollution, which is why I'm writing you all
today.

I'm aware of the program called Sharpkeys, but the issue with that is, it
will only let you map a key to another single key. Well, I don't have
another key on this machine that I could substitute that wouldn't feel very
awquard.

I know what I'd like to use.

I'd like for Alt+Shift+Spacebar to press the applications key at the
currently focused item. Basically Alt+Shift+Space to be the same as me
hitting the application's key.

Can this be done in an addon, and if so, is this something that someone up
here would be willing to put together for me?

I admittedly don't know programming that well, let alone specifically
Python, so forgive me.

I know Joseph Lee would say, perhaps this should be sent to the NVDA addon
list instead, but, I'd rather honestly not join that list for now, as I'm
not an NVDA dev, nor really have any intention at this time of being so. I
think the list would get overwhelming, and I already have enough e-mail as
is.

Like I say, I can't imagine this would be too terribly hard to do compared
to a lot of other addons.

Literally, all I need it to do is globally hit the application's key, not
shift F10, let me be very very transparent on that fact. I have an app I use
that certain places require the applications key, and Shift+F10 won't work
in those areas. It *has* to be the apps key.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of coding an if/then statement routine that
says something to the effect of:

IF keyinput=("alt+shift+space")
THEN Presskey("applicationskey");

OK, I know that's not literally how the source would look, nor was I trying
to make it such.

I was trying, more or less, to make the point of saying, I don't think this
should be hard based on the little programming I know, which again, is more
than enough to commit suicide on myself.

If it's not quite that easy, then just tell me to shut up. LOL! NO
seriously, don't do that, LOL, but, you get my point.

Right now, I'm gonna be very straight up. This isn't something I could pay
an addon creator to make, however, given what I'm guessing to be the
symplisity of this, I'd not suspect it would be terribly hard to do. I'd not
think it would take but maybe 10 or so minutes to write, if even that.

If we were talking JAWS, I could have this done in about 2 minutes or less
with the script manager, but, alas, we're not so.

Again, to clarify, I'd want this done globally throughout the OS, so
regardless the window, I'm in, it would work.

Windows 10 64 Bit Creator Edition Professional, if that matters.

NVDA 2017.2, again, if that matters. This is a full install, not a portable,
and yes, I do have administrator access, and U A C is disabled entirely, in
case the API's for this to work require it.

Chris.