Re: I have a favor to ask of the NVDA user community

valiant8086

Hi.

I haven't finished reading this thread yet, so I don't know if you have a solution yet. to find f10 easier, put both hands at the top row all 8 fingers. Make sure the left  pinky is just right of escape and thus on 1, then take right pinky right two more fingers. Alternatively, count to f12 from the right it might be possible to put all 4 fingers on the right most keys and know that if you hit with your p9inter finger you'll hit f10, or perhaps that's f11 or so and need only go left one more key.

I can write a small autoit app if necessary, let me know off list to ensure that I'll see it.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>

Yeah, I've known about shift+F10 for years upon years upon years, but again, in this case, it's not going to suffice.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I have a favor to ask of the NVDA user community

The left click selects the item under the mouse.  The right click brings up options on what to do with said item, so if the applications key were to simulate anything, it would have to be the right click.

Good to know the other keystroke that does the job though, thanks for that.

On 6/17/2017 3:27 PM, Rich De Steno wrote:

Press shift-F10 to simulate the applications key.  It is the left click, not the right click, that also simulates the applications key.

On 6/17/2017 3:19 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

I seem to recall from somewhere that the applications key is the same as a right click, so you could try pressing the NVDA key for right click, and see if it brings up the same menu for you.  I've never bothered to test this assertion, so I could be wrong, and it's of course possible that some programs specifically look for the applications key (if that's possible), and so a right click wouldn't do the trick, but it's worth trying.

OK, this is a little bit of a unique situation, but I'm sure I'm probably not the only person who's run into this predicament.

I have an HP laptop which more specifically is the HP 250G5.

Though this system is absolutely incredible, I love it, there is one thing, and really only! about one thing, that I do not like about it.

Unfortunately, this system has no physical application's key. Trust me. I've gone into keyboard help, and have practically hit everything under the sun! It's not even something where holding down FN along with another key will do it. I even have gone so far as to get ahold of HP, and they confirmed that the key doesn't exist on this model.

A few possibilities therefore are an external keyboard that has this key. Well, there went my portability.

The other would be to hit shift+F10 to open the context menu on the focused item. Normally 99.9 percent of the time, this would be OK, but, my keys F1 through F10 are not spaced apart tacticly, and I'm a very firm believer in not putting dots on my keys. To me, that just feels utterly disgusting, and I always shutter when working with students who's keys are that way. If it helps you, great! Do it, but for me, it makes it more confusing.

This leads me to my final sollution, which is why I'm writing you all today.

I'm aware of the program called Sharpkeys, but the issue with that is, it will only let you map a key to another single key. Well, I don't have another key on this machine that I could substitute that wouldn't feel very awquard.

I know what I'd like to use.

I'd like for Alt+Shift+Spacebar to press the applications key at the currently focused item. Basically Alt+Shift+Space to be the same as me hitting the application's key.

Can this be done in an addon, and if so, is this something that someone up here would be willing to put together for me?

I admittedly don't know programming that well, let alone specifically Python, so forgive me.

I know Joseph Lee would say, perhaps this should be sent to the NVDA addon list instead, but, I'd rather honestly not join that list for now, as I'm not an NVDA dev, nor really have any intention at this time of being so. I think the list would get overwhelming, and I already have enough e-mail as is.

Like I say, I can't imagine this would be too terribly hard to do compared to a lot of other addons.

Literally, all I need it to do is globally hit the application's key, not shift F10, let me be very very transparent on that fact. I have an app I use that certain places require the applications key, and Shift+F10 won't work in those areas. It *has* to be the apps key.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of coding an if/then statement routine that says something to the effect of:

IF keyinput=("alt+shift+space")
    THEN Presskey("applicationskey");

OK, I know that's not literally how the source would look, nor was I trying to make it such.

I was trying, more or less, to make the point of saying, I don't think this should be hard based on the little programming I know, which again, is more than enough to commit suicide on myself.

If it's not quite that easy, then just tell me to shut up. LOL! NO seriously, don't do that, LOL, but, you get my point.

Right now, I'm gonna be very straight up. This isn't something I could pay an addon creator to make, however, given what I'm guessing to be the symplisity of this, I'd not suspect it would be terribly hard to do. I'd not think it would take but maybe 10 or so minutes to write, if even that.

If we were talking JAWS, I could have this done in about 2 minutes or less with the script manager, but, alas, we're not so.

Again, to clarify, I'd want this done globally throughout the OS, so regardless the window, I'm in, it would work.

Windows 10 64 Bit Creator Edition Professional, if that matters.

NVDA 2017.2, again, if that matters. This is a full install, not a portable, and yes, I do have administrator access, and U A C is disabled entirely, in case the API's for this to work require it.

Chris.

Rich De Steno