From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2017 4:22 AM
Subject: [nvda] Important directive for Windows 10 users: there is a reason why Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is out there...

Dear NVDA community,

Disclaimer: for new community members, I'm normally not like this, but I do
sometimes right posts I believe folks should hear, as it impacts community
experience and what not. So my sincere apologies for letting you witness my
explosive side. Please bear with me for a second, as it is important that I
talk about the following regarding respecting engineers and announce a
directive for Windows 10 users:

In the blindness community (at least for members of various mailing lists
that I'm a part of or lead), I became synonymous with someone who is willing
to show patience until the end, especially when resolving tech support
problems. But there is a hidden side to that: for certain things, I become a
volcano, and those who've witnessed my lava flow knows what I mean.
Unfortunately, I believe it is time that I explode yet again (my apologies
to our dear leaders for doing something like this):

Answering questions: for many situations, when resolving issues, when I and
other engineers ask you questions in hopes of getting to the meat of the
burger. Sometimes we may ask you to tell us steps to reproduce the given
problem, what a screen reader says, and what not. When developers ask you
questions, please do your best to answer them if possible.

For Windows 10 users: there is an important reason why I wrote Windows 10
App Essentials: to prevent issues like the one Rosemarie and others have
experienced with Mail app. Hence the following directive:

Until now, it was optional for you to use Windows 10 app Essentials add-on
if you are using Windows 10. I'll make this an important requirement
starting from fall 2017. That is, starting from September 2017, when you
report issues like the one Rosemarie has experienced, I'll no longer ask you
to install latest WinTenApps add-on: I'll assume that you have. For Windows
Insiders, this is a critical (and mandatory) requirement.

I'm not announcing this directive just because I feel like doing it, nor to
increase popularity of my brainchild: Windows 10 App Essentials add-on
exists for important reasons:

* Workarounds for issues encountered by NVDA users when using Windows
10, including various UI Automation issues.
* Respond to changes in accessibility of various apps such as removing
workarounds put in place in past versions.
* Respond to app executable name changes (Microsoft has changed names
of at least three universal app executables).
* Provide essential features for Windows 10 users, including
suggestions announcement, emoji panel support (Fall Creators Update), Edge
notification announcements and others.
* To prove to Microsoft and third-party universal app developers that
accessibility should be a core design criteria for apps, including letting
screen reader users use apps to their full potential.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph