Re: Important directive for Windows 10 users: there is a reason why Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is out there...

I'm guessing it's technical reasons, but I'll let the author put in their two cents.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Monday, June 19, 2017 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Important directive for Windows 10 users: there is a reason why Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is out there...

I don't want to make anyone mad, but here goes.

If this Windows ten ap is so important to have, why isn't it somehow included with the core of NVDA rather than as a separate item that must be downloaded by the user?

On 6/18/2017 11:22 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Dear NVDA community,

Disclaimer: for new community members, I’m normally not like this, but I do sometimes right posts I believe folks should hear, as it impacts community experience and what not. So my sincere apologies for letting you witness my explosive side. Please bear with me for a second, as it is important that I talk about the following regarding respecting engineers and announce a directive for Windows 10 users:

In the blindness community (at least for members of various mailing lists that I’m a part of or lead), I became synonymous with someone who is willing to show patience until the end, especially when resolving tech support problems. But there is a hidden side to that: for certain things, I become a volcano, and those who’ve witnessed my lava flow knows what I mean. Unfortunately, I believe it is time that I explode yet again (my apologies to our dear leaders for doing something like this):

Answering questions: for many situations, when resolving issues, when I and other engineers ask you questions in hopes of getting to the meat of the burger. Sometimes we may ask you to tell us steps to reproduce the given problem, what a screen reader says, and what not. When developers ask you questions, please do your best to answer them if possible.

For Windows 10 users: there is an important reason why I wrote Windows 10 App Essentials: to prevent issues like the one Rosemarie and others have experienced with Mail app. Hence the following directive:

Until now, it was optional for you to use Windows 10 app Essentials add-on if you are using Windows 10. I’ll make this an important requirement starting from fall 2017. That is, starting from September 2017, when you report issues like the one Rosemarie has experienced, I’ll no longer ask you to install latest WinTenApps add-on: I’ll assume that you have. For Windows Insiders, this is a critical (and mandatory) requirement.

I’m not announcing this directive just because I feel like doing it, nor to increase popularity of my brainchild: Windows 10 App Essentials add-on exists for important reasons:

  • Workarounds for issues encountered by NVDA users when using Windows 10, including various UI Automation issues.
  • Respond to changes in accessibility of various apps such as removing workarounds put in place in past versions.
  • Respond to app executable name changes (Microsoft has changed names of at least three universal app executables).
  • Provide essential features for Windows 10 users, including suggestions announcement, emoji panel support (Fall Creators Update), Edge notification announcements and others.
  • To prove to Microsoft and third-party universal app developers that accessibility should be a core design criteria for apps, including letting screen reader users use apps to their full potential.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

--