From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2017 9:57 PM
Subject: [nvda] Clarification: last night's remarks, teaching style

Dear NVDA community:

I have received several remarks offlist regarding my comment to Rosemarie
last night in regards to asking her what she has learned through the Mail
app problem. I'll take full responsibility of my remarks and tone, as a
practical step, I'll refrain from posting to this list for the rest of the
week (and if I have offended folks, my sincere apologies).

As for teaching style I tend to employ: perhaps my remark from last night
came as a result of my approach to teaching, which calls for students to
have willingness to think, or at least, learn to think critically by asking
tough questions, have willingness to fail in hopes of learning important
lessons, and learn from mistakes. Perhaps this came as a result of my
communication studies and argumentation training, being a member of the
competitive speech and debate squad, things I've observed on various forums
where people just believe whatever leaders say, or something else. My
overall intention for asking Rosemarie to tell me what she has learned was
to get her to think critically about what she has gone through, not just get
a problem fixed. If I say I'm satisfied with the resolution of a problem,
then this means no future preparations and applications through careful
thinking. I personally believe in a community where not only people offer
solutions, but also a venue where members can think critically, and I do
know from a decade's worth of experience on various forums that I'm thinking
of an ideal community. One thing I personally would like to see is folks
teaching novices not only the beauty of NVDA through solutions, but also
fostering a sense of taking ownership of a product and thinking about it; in
other words, I think it would be best to prepare willing novices for a time
in the future where novices themselves would become power users and teach
folks not only NVDA, but also to think carefully. Also, personally, I do not
want our NVDA community to just be called "a community of users and
developers of NVDA" - one thing that sets our community apart from others is
unity, and I think it would be beneficial in the long run to add another
title: thinking individuals.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph