Re: NVDA and Google Chrome

Chris Mullins

Hi

Ctrl+shift+o is the shortcut key to the Bookmarks Manager, which is used for organizing, importing and exporting bookmarks rather than accessing bookmarked pages.  It may present them in a long list but there is no first letter pick available so you could be tabbing forever.  I don’t understand what you mean by ‘activating bookmarks’ other than activating the Bookmarks Toolbar which, once activated remains so until you de-activate it.  The  alt+shift+b shortcut takes you straight to the toolbar, as does shift+F6.  F6 alone hass to be pressed twice as the first press puts you in the address bar.  As for the Bookmarks toolbar contents, these cannot be accessed using first letter pick and if not organized by yourself, do get grouped automatically by Chrome, I suspect due to horizontal space limitations. 

I’ve been playing around with bookmarks the last couple of days and have found that if I group bookmars into folders, I have 5 of them, these are displayed as sub menu items on the tool bar and when enter or down arrow is pressed, the menu opens vertically and has first letter pic available.  If you don’t want to have several folders, just create one and with a couple of keystrokes you be able to use first letter pic to zero in on any bookmark.  Pressing the applications key on a folder in the toolbar opens a context menu allowing various functions including adding the currently displayed site to the folder and opening a web page tab for every bookmark you have in the folder.  After being initially dismissive of the Bookmarks toolbar, due mainly to my own ignorance,  I have found it to be both accessible and easy to use.         

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: 22 June 2017 17:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

Once again, I have to restate this.

Using the activate bookmarks keystroke still requires an additional keystroke to get to the bookmark list, whether it be the alt-shift-b or the f6, or something else.  The navigation is with right/left arrows, to go through the bookmarks, and down/up arrows to expand/collapse different categories. as it classifies all book marks in groups, and some folks may not want that grouping. 

When using the control-shift-o keystroke, you're placed in a full-screen layout of the bookmarks, and you can simply tab to the list of bookmarks, then arrow up/down through the bookmarks to get to the one you want, and there are no subcategories, no expanding/collapsing is necessary, and all the bookmarks are in one long single list. 

There is the issue with double speech in that the speech reads the bookmark you just left, then the one that is currently highlighted, which can be annoying, but this should be fixable with some sort of highlight tracking modifications, or in the chrome NVDA module.  I've not made any attempt to do so, but it should be possible to have the speech read only the currently highlighted item instead of both of them.

In any case, these two views are presented in very different ways, and some folks may prefer one over the other, so a mention of both methods is not out of order here.

On 6/22/2017 10:43 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

Or Alt-Shift-B will do it.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: 22 June 2017 03:57

It does indeed claim the control shift b hides or unhides the bookmarks bar, but that doesn't set focus to said bookmarks bar, for that, you either need to use control-f6, or control-shift-f6 depending on whether you are going forward or backward through the list. 

However, a more direct, and much more useful keystroke is control-shift-o, which does open the bookmark manager, which is most likely what most folks would expect when trying to get to the bookmarks.

So, while your control-shift-b command does exist in chrome, it doesn't actually bring you to your bookmarks, merely hides or unhides the bookmarks bar, which you still need to navigate to in order to do anything with it.  The keystroke most likely needed in this particular instance is control-shift-o, which opens the bookmarks manager, where you can add, remove, and access all of your bookmarks, which is more like the bookmark functionality in other browsers that is usually accessed with the control-b functionality.

On 6/21/2017 12:03 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:

Hi,

Yes, it’s all here:-

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/157179?hl=en-GB

Control-Shift-B hides or unhides the Bookmarks bar.

So you didn’t search too well <Big Smile>. That feature has been around for ages.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 20 June 2017 15:38

I'd have to bring my Windows 7 machine online and update to the latest Chrome.  I almost never use that machine online so it may have been added recently.  If so, no one on the list has mentioned it so the command appears to be almost unknown, if it is present.  In my version of Chrome, which is a number of months old, that command does nothing. 

Also, I did an Internet search a few months ago looking for such a command and I found no command.  So if it is present, it evidently is a recent addition.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:26 AM

Hi Jean,

What’s wrong with Control-Shift-B?  Works for me every time.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 15 June 2017 15:14

After all these years, Chrome doesn't have such a shortcut.  You can open the menu with alt, press enter when the menu opens, type b and then press enter again. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:06 AM

Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

In both IE and Firefox there is a simple way to get to your favorites
with Alt A and Alt B.  Is there a hot key combination to open favorites
or bookmarks in google chrome?
Thanks

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.