From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve
Nutt
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 9:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Pronouncing Numbers as Single Digits

Hi Joseph,

Another option then should definitely be controlled by synth. Some synths
figure this out, like the Code Factory ones, and you can set the parameters
within them. But NVDA currently ignores those parameters.

All the best

Steve

On 2017-06-22 11:16, Laurent Cadet de Fontenay wrote:
Hi all!

I've recently switched from Jaws to NVDA as my default screenreader
and find the experience very satisfying, both ideologically and
practically, with a computer that now feels just that bit more
responsive.

One of the issues I have and that I've seen mentioned by users on
other lists is that there seems to be no way to get NVDA to pronounce
numbers as single digits. I noticed from a brief look at GitHub
(which I'm not that familiar with) that this issue has been picked up
on before, but that it has not yet been resolved.

My sense is that this feature may actually be a big deal for people
who work with numerical data and, as it should be possible to
address, doing so could be a a low-hanging fruit that could further
the appeal of NVDA.

I think that an option to toggle the pronunciation of numbers in the
"Punctuation/symbol pronunciation" section of the Preferences menu
could be appropriate, also tying the option to one of the unassigned
keys in the top numeric row for easy toggling.

I hope I'm not flogging a dead horse here, but thought this was worth
raising. Also happy to learn how to do this on GitHub if this could
be more helpful.

All the best
Laurent