Re: Good Browsing Hygiene, was: Kaspersky antivirus, how accessible?

Gene

I didn't read the discussion but this appears to be the advice that was circulated a number of years ago that, if a program asks to install something and you think the site is malicious, telling the browser or window to close will cause it to install what it is asking you about even though you didn't give permission.  The browser should be closed from the task manager or perhaps, I'm not sure, by shutting down the computer, perhaps with an improper shutdown.  But the issue wasn't using the close icon or not.  It was that closing the browser in any standard way tells the malicious site to install the malware.

If I weren't going to use the task manager to shut down the browser, I would do an improper shutdown and not take a chance on initiating a proper shutdown, unless I had researched this and knew that a proper shutdown was safe.

Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Good Browsing Hygiene, was: Kaspersky antivirus, how accessible?

To extend this to what other "computer geeks" think about good Browsing (or Computing in General) Hygiene, I'm posting a direct link to a thread entitled, Windows Defender, on bleepingcomputer.com.  Although it started out as a question about Windows Defender as an antivirus program, several regulars offered some excellent advice about computing hygiene.  One of the points I hadn't given much thought is not closing down what appear to be malicious windows using the red X at the upper right corner.  This is something a screen reader user wouldn't likely have to consider often, since most I know will use ALT+F4 to close a window, but it is an interesting point that even the normal way of dismissing a window via mouse pointer can be used as the entry point for malicious software.

By the way, the poster named usasma, who is a regular and "geek extraordinaire," also happens to be visually impaired.