Re: Blog Post: Top 5 NVDA Tips and Tricks You Need To Know

hi gene.
thanks for your helpful informations.
i aggree with you about default settings.
thanks so much and God bless you.

On 6/27/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
If you read using speak to end, it doesn't matter how many links there are.
Reading is not affected. If you don't use read to end and down arrow
through the text, using screen layout may improve matters but it makes no
sense for people to read in that way.

Screen layout, according to brief comments I saw in an e-mail list
discussion years ago may make web forums easier to navigate but I strongly
believe that the other option, placing links and controls on their own lines
should be the default. Which raises the question of how it's decided what
defaults should be? Clearly, using sounds instead of audio notification of
browse or forms mode is not a good default, considering the number of new
users who will have no idea what such sounds mean and who have enough
trouble learning everything else without having sounds where audio
notification would help far more in learning and reinforcement. Save
settings on exit should not be the default. While learning and
experimenting, users might accidentally save settings they have no intention
of saving. Why are block quotes set to be spoken? Almost no one cares
about such arcane marks.

As I said, who decides these sorts of things. Defaults should be determined
by the needs of inexperienced users. If long time users don't know how to
change such settings, they might get some incentive to learn more about the
program.