Re: Good Browsing Hygiene, was: Kaspersky antivirus, how accessible?

These days, with the exception of the Clamwin open-source antivirus, I don't know of a single antivirus or internet security product that does not do "on access" scanning for downloads.  Windows Defender, the built-in that comes with Windows 8 and 10, does that.  I have AVG, and Panda Cloud on two other machines in the house and they do that.  Avast did that.  You can even get an open-source add-on for Clamwin called Clam Sentinel and then Clam Sentinel does that job.  The timing can be different, though.  Most that I'm aware of will scan anything you attempt to download from the internet when you attempt to download it.  When it comes to e-mail most do something similar at download time, while there were a few products that did the scanning when you attempted to open a message or specific attachment.  The latter is becoming the exception rather than the rule these days.

When it comes to web filtering and security suites the default settings differ.  When I took a look at the Sophos home page their statement, "With just a few clicks, block access to sites that may contain inappropriate content or malicious software," suggests that you have to turn this feature on.  I've always done something similar with a product named Spywareblaster.

Shared computers, particularly those shared with, shall we say, "less sophisticated" users tend to need a bit more cyber armor than those used by a single user who consistently practices good computing hygiene.

There is no "one size fits all" though there's a wide "one size fits most" style of setup.