Re: Way Off Topic!!!

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I just tried it on my windows 10 machine and it removed the old windows.old directory.

Use the windows key + letter #

this will bring up where your drives are for example C: drive d: drive and so on.

locate the C: drive then use the applications key on your computer.

go to properties then press the enter key.

Tab to the disk clean up button then press the enter key. it will come up with a selection of stuff to remove. I went through and checked all of the boxes and you need to look for one that say just after the list you have check called Clean up system files button, then press either the space bar or enter key.

another list will come up i went through and checked all of the boxs one of them was for the windows.old directory  I can not remember what it said like windows S or some thing, but any how all of the boxs were check.

  .

I then tabbed to the ok button then pressed the enter key. it asked me if i really wanted to delete every thing that was checked and the amount of space etc.

i said yes it did it trick and after it finished i checked to see if it was gone.

there is no window.old directory now.

the option to get rid of the old directory will only come up if it is there on your c drive. I just can not remember what it called the old directory.

I can have a look on my other computer where i have not removed it yet i think it is still there and then either record the steps on how to do it but this was pretty much the process i did.

hope it helps.

gene nz

On 7/9/2017 8:09 PM, Carlos wrote:

Hello:

    When I try to delete them with file explorer.  Or, for that matter, any other file management software.  When trying to use the wipe/shred/destroy function I get a file not accessible/file does not exist/file not available error messages!

    So, I guess I'm stuck with having all those windows.old files on my machine.

    Today I upgraded from win8.1 to win10 and the windows.old family has now grown to seven directories!

    I have been using PCs since the days of DOS 4.0 to the present and this one is very hard to understand why it's happening?

    Thank You! For all your help!

On 7/8/2017 1:08 PM, Gene wrote:
I'm sure there is a way to delete them without using Windows cleanup.  You don't have to reformat just to get rid of such folders. Have you tried deleting them using Windows Explorer?  If that doesn't work, there are utilities that allow files to be deleted that are being kept from doing so by the operating system showing them as in use when they aren't.

Others may have more information.