Re: Way Off Topic!!!

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I just tried it on my windows 10 machine and it removed the old windows.old directory.

Use the windows key + letter #

this will bring up where your drives are for example C: drive d: drive and so on.

locate the C: drive then use the applications key on your computer.

go to properties then press the enter key.

Tab to the disk clean up button then press the enter key. it will come up with a selection of stuff to remove. I went through and checked all of the boxes and you need to look for one that say just after the list you have check called Clean up system files button, then press either the space bar or enter key.

another list will come up i went through and checked all of the boxs one of them was for the windows.old directory  I can not remember what it said like windows S or some thing, but any how all of the boxs were check.

I then tabbed to the ok button then pressed the enter key. it asked me if i really wanted to delete every thing that was checked and the amount of space etc.

i said yes it did it trick and after it finished i checked to see if it was gone.

there is no window.old directory now.

the option to get rid of the old directory will only come up if it is there on your c drive. I just can not remember what it called the old directory.

I can have a look on my other computer where i have not removed it yet i think it is still there and then either record the steps on how to do it but this was pretty much the process i did.

hope it helps.

gene nz

On 7/9/2017 8:09 PM, Carlos wrote:

Hello:

When I try to delete them with file explorer.  Or, for that matter, any other file management software.  When trying to use the wipe/shred/destroy function I get a file not accessible/file does not exist/file not available error messages!

So, I guess I'm stuck with having all those windows.old files on my machine.

Today I upgraded from win8.1 to win10 and the windows.old family has now grown to seven directories!

I have been using PCs since the days of DOS 4.0 to the present and this one is very hard to understand why it's happening?

Thank You! For all your help!

On 7/8/2017 1:08 PM, Gene wrote:
I'm sure there is a way to delete them without using Windows cleanup.  You don't have to reformat just to get rid of such folders. Have you tried deleting them using Windows Explorer?  If that doesn't work, there are utilities that allow files to be deleted that are being kept from doing so by the operating system showing them as in use when they aren't. 

Others may have more information.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2017 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Way Off Topic!!!

Hello:

The windows.old directories will not go away no matter how I try to
get rid of them with disk cleanup!

Disk cleanup sees them and the check box is checked for deleting. 
However! Disk cleanup seems to be unable/unwilling to delete them!

I currently have four windows.old on the root directory. That is
why I may need to do a fresh/clean install of any windows OS and for
that there needs to be a disk reformat!

Being blind and living alone really s___s!!!

Thank You! for reading my message!

On 7/8/2017 10:36 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
> Could you give an example of a folder theat will not go away?
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
> Sent: 8 July 2017 14:38
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Way Off Topic!!!
>
> Hello:
>
>       I am using disk cleanup with the run as admin choice on the context menu.  However, some things just refuse to go away no matter what I do!
>
>       It is as if something locks them and does not let them be removed!
>
>       I am the only one on my PC.  So, I have the user access control set to zero.  And, I keep myself logged in as admin all the time.
>
>       Thank You! For your response!
>
>
> On 7/8/2017 5:28 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> When you run disk clean up are you doing so in admin mode as old system files will not be removed unless you are.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Chris
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
>> Carlos
>> Sent: 8 July 2017 10:39
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Subject: [nvda] Way Off Topic!!!
>>
>> Hello All:
>>
>>        How can a totally blind person format a hard disk without sighted help?
>>
>>        I would like to be able to install windows on a freshly formatted drive.
>>
>>        For some unknown reason when installing a new version of windows it will always leave old junk behind!  And, it does not matter if you use disk cleanup to clean out unwanted leftover files.  When you use any file explorer to look at the root directory you will see that old junk which should have been cleaned is still there!
>>
>>        Thank You! For all your helpful suggestions!!!
>>
>>
>> --
>> Carlos Gonzalez - Los Angeles, CA. - gmjc341961@...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> --
> Carlos Gonzalez - Los Angeles, CA. - gmjc341961@...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Carlos Gonzalez - Los Angeles, CA. - gmjc341961@...

-- 
Carlos Gonzalez - Los Angeles, CA. - gmjc341961@...

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.