Re: Reading footnotes in LibreOffice with NVDA

Jason White

Serious accessibility issues have recently been reported in LibreOffice under Linux (see the archives of the Orca mailing list for details). I don't know how their Windows accessibility stands at the moment. Microsoft Word is the only word processor that I have tried in which features such as change tracking and comments are accessible to screen reader users. Apple's Pages is improving in this area and it may become an alternative for those who use a Mac. Google Docs may also be an alternative for some users. I haven't performed a detailed feature comparison, but the reviews which I have read indicate that Microsoft Office is still well ahead of the functionality available in Google's G-Suite or Apple's iWorks. LibreOffice is closer in regard to features, while also having the advantage of being free and open-source software, but its accessibility has considerable room for improvement (based both on what I've read and what I've experienced).

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of nasrin khaksar
Sent: Sunday, July 9, 2017 8:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading footnotes in LibreOffice with NVDA

i also sent email for them and i am waiting for they reply.

On 7/9/17, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
i remembered from its copyright that i downloaded one version in three
years ago and it was not accessible for me.
i dont know about the newer versions and also paid version.
i tried free version which was less than 60 mb in that year.
hope that it became accessible until now and someone explaned about
its usage and accessibility.

Please reply if it works.

I may concidder it later on if it is.

Jarte works well but if I need to switch to another office app, I
don't mind paying 80 dollars for full office.

On 9/07/2017 11:54 p.m., nasrin khaksar wrote:
i remember that one time i tried one office program which was
completely inaccessible.
i am not sure about its name whether wps office suite or other program.
but if it was wps, it was free version of it.
i dont know there website.
could you please send me to check?

ms office aint that bad I am going to shift my aunt who was in
business into using it as she has worked with it at work.

I'd dearly like her to use free office and software but she is
spending on a laptop, and will get office.

Has anyone tried wps office at all?

Its free and bar a watermark on printed files is fine.

Now its 30 a year and maybe cheaper per month I forget but you can
subscribe a pc and some mobile devices to it.

Or if on pc is all you will use it on its 80 dollars for a lifetime
pc licence.

As long as that pc is fine then you don't have an issue.

I think unless you get a key and just install it on another pc
afterward.

Thats cheaper than office but has anyone used this.

She has an ios and an android device and since she is cloud based,
linking her cloud to her computer with ms apps is not a bad thing I
guess since she has a 3 device chain.

The only people that don't are those on single devices like myself.

On 9/07/2017 8:47 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
That does not sound good. I know originally Libra Office and Open
Office and the Symphony office suite were all written in Java, but
much of them now have embeded accessibility, but did wonder if
Java was installed if that might help some parts not accessible
out of the box.
I'd really like another choice than Microsoft Office as they are
pushing people toward toe online product where you have to keep
paying to to get it up todate.
Has read all been sorted in Libra Office yet, ie can nvda see that
there is more text to read after a larrge break outside of a page
you are in?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.